Sign in to follow this  

Dismantling a Stuck Silencer?

I'm in the process of fixing up a bike that sat in a garage for 5/6 years.

I've gotten the engine running and now I'm doing other things like trying to repack the silencer.

But I assume it's stuck with carbon or something as I've unbolted it and pulled it and it won't come apart. I've soaked it in hot water and it still wouldn't come.

I wondered if anyone had any tips or anything for getting it apart. Thanks!

I'm in the process of fixing up a bike that sat in a garage for 5/6 years.

I've gotten the engine running and now I'm doing other things like trying to repack the silencer.

But I assume it's stuck with carbon or something as I've unbolted it and pulled it and it won't come apart. I've soaked it in hot water and it still wouldn't come.

I wondered if anyone had any tips or anything for getting it apart. Thanks!

Try to tap around the connection with a rubber mallet to help break it loose.  Hitting the outside for a few seconds with a torch might help expand the outside and liquefy the sealant between the connections 

I just hold onto the pipe part of the silencer and smack on the hanger with a rubber mallet. Few raps and the case comes off.

Edited by OLHILLBILLY

Try to tap around the connection with a rubber mallet to help break it loose.  Hitting the outside for a few seconds with a torch might help expand the outside and liquefy the sealant between the connections 

I was told about heating it to expand it. Heating it at the joint and then dipping the pipe part into cold water to try and contract that part, to create a gap.

I just hold onto the pipe part of the silencer and smack on the hanger with a rubber mallet. Few raps and the case comes off.

I've tried forcing it off already but it didn't work :/

Idk if it is factory or the PO did it but mine had a silicone type sealant on it that I had to fight. I put mine in a vice with the round part of the oval in the clamp to prevent crushing it and pulled like hell.