Sign in to follow this  

2014 300exc starter problem.

Hi guys, have a 2014 300exc and every time I washh it I go back the next day to start it and it sounds like its spinnig and not starting. Anyone experienced this?

I had a 2012 model and it never worked with a dang. I would have to keep hitting the starter button over and over until it would finally catch. There's all sorts of fixes you can read about in forums. I checked all the clearances and everything was correct.

Then the bearings locked up in the starter motor and the bike was less than one year old!

Sorry I don't sound very encouraging but it seems that it's hit and miss if you get a good starter on KTM two strokes.

I feel its water related cause once ihave started and ridden it its fine. Then I wash it leave it till next ride and it does that spin sound like its not engaging or something. Maybe ill give ktm a call on Monday.

I feel its water related cause once ihave started and ridden it its fine. Then I wash it leave it till next ride and it does that spin sound like its not engaging or something. Maybe ill give ktm a call on Monday.

It's not water related, that's just one of the patterns that KTM 2-stroke starters do when they're starting to go out.  If you don't believe me, don't wash your bike and see what happens the next day when you try and start it.  I'll guarantee it will do the same things you think that washing the bike causes it to do.  To save yourself some grief, I'd pull your starter out, tear it apart and grease the starter shaft bearing right away.  For some unfathomable reason, KTM doesn't grease that bearing from the factory so water gets in there and they rust and sieze up.  Here's a link to a video I did of all the steps I took to fix my KTM starter problems.  One of the steps was a starter rebuild and it shows the bearing in question.

It was water related. Pulled it down cleaned it out bit rusty in there then sealed the drain hole and put thin oil in there and it starts so sweet. Cant be burnt out it only got 17 hours.