Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Wilderness designation for Rampart?

I posted this over on ADV last night. I think everyone needs to know what the CMC wants to do. You may remember them....they tried to steal our OHV funds a couple years ago and COHVCO and others shut them down. 

---------------------

Rampart Range Wildlands Project

MISSION

Secure permanent protection for a portion of the eastern Rampart Range thus conserving wildlife habitat, water quality, and quiet-use recreation opportunities in one of the last remaining remote places along Colorado's Front Range corridor. 

BACKGROUND

The Rampart Range Wildlands Project is an initiative of the Colorado Mountain Club's Denver and Pike's Peak chapters. We aim to work with a diversity of stakeholders in determining how best to protect this special area while also being conscious of others needs. 

By securing an increased level of federal protection this special area will remain an island of quiet use recreation with opportunities to find solitude for generations to come. This unique mid-elevation mountain range (located just 40 miles south of Denver and 20 miles northwest of Colorado Springs) offers a rare opportunity to protect one of the last remaining remote places along the Front Range. 

UPCOMING EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES

Palmer Lake Open House: May, 20th 7-9 p.m. - Join us at the Palmer Lake Town Hall to learn about our efforts and discuss the future of the Rampart East roadless area. A short presentation will be followed by an information gathering session.REGISTER NOW

http://www.cmc.org/Conservation/RampartRangeWildlandsProject.aspx

------------------------------------------

Here is what COHVCO has on their website about it:

RAMPART RANGE WILDERNESS MEETING.  We need you to voice your opposition!

Colorado Mountain Club is holding a public meeting regarding their desire for Wilderness and Wildlands in the Rampart Range Area.  Specific information on the CMC proposal is available here:

http://www.cmc.org/Conservation/RampartRangeWildlandsProject.aspx

Our Concerns:

1.  There is no need for additional Wilderness for recreational usage. 20% of USFS trails are in Wilderness areas and receive only 3.3% of all visitor days, and demand is declining. Routes in Wilderness areas are difficult to maintain and are exceptionally expensive to maintain due to strict management limitations.

2.  The Government Accounting Office recently identified that motorized users are the only ones who pay to play on the trails. Even with the $4-5 million a year the Colorado motorized community directs towards multiple use recreation, only 25% of all routes are financially sustainable due to high percentages of routes in Wilderness.

3.  A recent USFS report to Senator Udall specifically state Wilderness areas are as a significant factor contributing to poor forest health.  This position has been repeatedly stated by Colorado State Forest Service.   USFS guidelines for watersheds identify the critical need for active management of watersheds to insure water quality.  This management is impossible in a Wilderness area.

4.  CMC incorrectly asserts that $10 billion was contributed to the Colorado economy from quiet use recreation.  This is simply incorrect as the OIA study relied on included motorized usage in their analysis, which is clearly stated in the 2012 study.

5.  The true economic driver is multiple use recreation on public lands as USFS comparisons estimate the motorized user spends 2-3 times the amount of money than the non-motorized users.

6.  The critical need for motorized access to multiple use recreation was recently identified by the National Shooting Sports Foundation which found that a lack of motorized access was the largest single barrier to those wanting to hunt and fish.

7.  Dispersed motorized recreation is a permitted characteristic and usage relied on to identify Colorado Roadless areas.

Meeting location:

Palmer Lake Town Hall

28 Valley Crescent Street

Palmer Lake, CO 80133

When:

May 20, 2014 from 7-8 pm

http://www.cohvco.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=95320&module_id=117304

extremism at its finest. thanks for posting Dave, there's a fight coming and we need to be prepared.

This is what they love, fear mongering. Rampart is one of the last remaining remote places next to the big city? I guess when your viewpoint is only as far as your line of sight that is all you can see:

MISSION

Secure permanent protection for a portion of the eastern Rampart Range thus conserving wildlife habitat, water quality, and quiet-use recreation opportunities in one of the last remaining remote places along Colorado's Front Range corridor.

It's my belief that there are enough OHV enthusiasts out there to stand up to this lunacy. the bait has been set with the booby traps, and the anti OHV crowd will have a field day with that if someone gets hurt. "Close down the access to protect ourselves from ourselves".

Myself as well. I also go by 2012 450 XC-W . I would love to meet you. G

Edited by G9.5

The underachievers can't stand to see us having a good time and playing with our families.

Aren't these the same group of idiots that propose this same plan every 4 or 5 years or so? And the whole thing is basically a couple of wealthy landowners from the surrounding area trying to essentially buy up public land for themselves at no cost and then conviently not have to pay taxes on it either after they lock everyone else out of it?

Aren't these the same group of idiots that propose this same plan every 4 or 5 years or so? And the whole thing is basically a couple of wealthy landowners from the surrounding area trying to essentially buy up public land for themselves at no cost and then conviently not have to pay taxes on it either after they lock everyone else out of it?

I have not heard of them trying this before, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.  I'm going to try to be there too.

If it doesn't happen it will be thanks to the action by those of us who take action.

It's been used, and molested by humans for over 30 years. It does not fall into the legal description of wilderness.

It's been used, and molested by humans for over 30 years. It does not fall into the legal description of wilderness.

Lets see....please give me a list of places that used to be open to moto and now are closed. If you think historical use will rule the day, please think again.

You're right about one thing though, Wilderness as defined at the federal level, would be a big stretch. If you read exactly what they are calling it, it is a Wildlands Project. There isn't room in a thread title to get into minutia.

If you don't think our access is threatened, I don't think your eyes are very wide open.  If you're not concerned, so be it. I'll be attending to support the status quo.

• Like 1

Dude..........save your breath. He's 18 years old and knows everything. I look forward to seeing all that will attend tomorrow evening. I'll be the guy missing my middle finger off my left hand. G

Dude..........save your breath. He's 18 years old and knows everything. I look forward to seeing all that will attend tomorrow evening. I'll be the guy missing my middle finger off my left hand. G

See ya there!

There are two elements that make this run at Wilderness status more likely to succeed than previous attempts:

1) A president who is being strongarmed by the Greenies to get more aggressive on protecting the environment. He has demonstrated a willingness to do end runs around Congress  (through executive actions) in order to serve his agenda. Furthermore, a very liberal billionaire, Tom Steyer (http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/tom-steyer-campaign-donor-103617.html ),  has offered the Democratic Party one hundred million dollars in campaign funds for candidates that take a firm pro-environment stand next fall. Nothing gets politicians more motivated than a generous offer of filling their war chest and increasing their chances of staying in power.

2) Two words: Mark Udall. Udall is going for broke on Wilderness and Monument designations in this state. He was instrumental in getting a large piece of Chaffee County (Brown's Canyon) declared open only to "Quiet Recreation." and I suspect he'll get behind this effort - unless he sees it as too controversial for an election year. We need to make sure he understands how controversial this really is.

These are very important factors that may make CMC's dream much more likely to become reality this time around.

I will be there, early. I am stopping by the Littleton Parks and Wildlife office before heading down, will have some spare time to grab a bite to eat before the meeting if anyone wants to meet about 6pm near the town hall facility?

I will be there, early. I am stopping by the Littleton Parks and Wildlife office before heading down, will have some spare time to grab a bite to eat before the meeting if anyone wants to meet about 6pm near the town hall facility?

Good idea. Got any ideas for places to eat?

Just saw this now.  It's two hours each way from my house, so I can't make it tonight.  Is there anywhere on-line to voice my opinion on this issue specifically?

Is cohvco the best club to join it terms of getting out voices heard?  I will join up today, if so.

A big thanks to all that will/can attend!

Dave, how about O'Malleys? I can be there probably 530-545pm if anyone else wants to join let me know before 330pm and I'll make sure to get a big enough table.

www.omalleys.biz

O'Malley's Steak Pub

104 Colorado 105

Palmer Lake, CO 80133

You guys should find the most Vegan place to eat, that would really confuse them.

I know this is a double post, but here are my comments from attending the meeting:

This was pretty much exactly what I expected. At the core, its a land grab sponsored by some wealthy land owners who own land bordering the national forest in the northern part of "Eastern Rampart Range". As soon as that came out int he meeting, I was pretty much just like "Yep exactly what I thought this was".

In short, what they presented on their maps and characterized as 34,000 acres of Pike Nat'l Forest that needed "a management plan" wasn't what they were actually proposing for legal wilderness designation. They were coy about that part of it, other than to say "Its in the northern part of the 34,000 acres we're proposing" ... which conveniently enough appears to be where they have "private land" listed as bordering the forest on their brochure they handed out.

This was basically, as best as I can tell, something they were putting on "for the public" just so they can claim they did. They knew what the outcome of this would be before going into it. The motorized crowd knew what the outcome of this would be before going into it. Everybody knew there would be some heated discussions and the same tired arguments would be thrown around. There is absolutely no benefit whatsoever to anyone who partakes in motorized recreation on public land to having designated wilderness areas, period. Especially not here.

With that said, they don't have a "firm" wilderness proposal yet. There is no legislation, at least that I can tell, that has been drafted and has been pushed. That isn't to say there couldn't be in the near future, as it was also very clear from this meeting they're trying to get this pushed through as part of whatever Obama's 11th our will be, as they have a much better chance of getting this type of legislation passed in the next two years than they will from 2016 to 2020 even with Hillary winning the presidency eek7.gifear.gif ....

So, in other words.....Keep up the fight against crap like this, this is probably just the opening volley in what is going to become a dirtier fight in the next several years.

I think the moral of the story is, if they wanted to "work with" the motorized crowd like they claim they do then the fundamental proposal would not be. They wouldn't be proposing something that is antithetical to everything the motorized crowd is and does .... They would come out and say "We want to find a way to better manage the area with the designations and routes we already have and to educate &%$#@! on how to not be &%$#@!" .... I mean proposing a wilderness designation to motorized access enthusiasts and claiming "it won't hurt your access" is like handing a live grenade to somebody and saying "It'll just tickle a little bit when it pops".

Edited by Captain Dogmeat