Sign in to follow this  

Just picked up a 2005 YZ125 project bike, need some help, info

Im new to the Yamaha world, I've had lots of Honda XR's & CR's but this is my first YZ125. Just picked up a nice little project bike. It's a 2005 YZ125. Overall the bike looks to be in good condition except for the transmission. It looks like something broke & took out the transmission & the LH case half. Every gear & the shift drum looks like it has some sort of damage to it & the LH case half has a hole in it. The top end, crank, RH case half, & clutch  still looks perfect & the rest of the bike is in great shape.

Are these good bikes? Is it common for them to have tranny problems? Is the bike worth fixing, or should I just part it out? Is there anything else I should upgrade while I have the bottom end apart? What year transmissions & cases interchange, or if I can find a whole bottom end are there any other years that will work?

I know every like pics so here you go.

yz1.jpg

yz2.jpg

yz3.jpg

yz4.jpg

yz5.jpg

Edited by xrcrf100

2005-2014 transmission and cases are the same.just need to fit the 2007 onwards shift stopper to solve the shifting problem on the 05-06 model's.

heres a link

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/512858-replace-your-shift-stopper/

Ok, thanks for the info So if I could find a complete bottom end from an 06-14 would I be able to just bolt my 05 top end & electrical on & run it?

Ok, thanks for the info So if I could find a complete bottom end from an 06-14 would I be able to just bolt my 05 top end & electrical on & run it?

yes

• Like 1

I bet the shift stopper came apart. 

In 07 they upgraded the shift stopper

I don't know where the rest of it went but it looks like thats what happened. Crazy how much damage that little thing did.

yza.jpg

yzb.jpg

Yes they are great bikes. I have had three of them. So fun to ride. Im doing a build on one rite now. But i had to take a break to rebuild my yz250. That took all my money for my project. Check it out. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1068078-2005-yz125-one-more-build-thread/

Thanks for the link. Looks like thats going to be a nice bike when its done.

Same thing happened to me except it didn't damage anything else. The shift stopper blew apart and the ring inside of it was resting on the arm. No tranny problems for me!

• Like 1