tjackson

Niche Big Bore Kit

There seems to be mucho bad information about this kit.  The guy selling it has wrong information, and other specutlation.  Note that I am not involved in any way with the people selling it, nor am I endorsing it.  It could be a giant piece of crap for all I know.

My 2002 DRZ is consuming oil like crazy, so I have been in the market for a BB kit for some time.  The CW kits I found are at least $360, this thing was $260, free shipping.

Well, I purchased one.  I arrived at my house in 2 days from Canada via Fedex.  If my DRZ dies from this, then it is an excuse to get a stroker and the 5 speed trans upgrade.  I have a DR650 to fall back on.

What is in the box:

A new 94mm cylinder that looks very much like a stock cylinder otherwise.  It is plated just like stock.

A 94mm (ish) cast piston, with low friction coating on the skirt and top

A top end gasket kit (head, base, exhaust, etc)

Wrist pin and clips

So thats it.  I am not sure about compression ratio, I am going to take actual measurements.  It has to be at least S (11:1).

Note this:  if you are trying to hide a purchase from your wife or significant other, the box is very obviously motorcycle parts.  My wife informed me "Your cylinder kit is here.  Your motorcycle cylinder kit is here".

I plan on installing it next week and will post a follow up if anyone is interested.

I want to reiterate:  I am not endorsing this thing.  I am just some cheap guy that decided to try it out.

Ride safe!

TJ

• Like 1

Could be a rebadged Namura ?

I am not sure, what do I need to look for?  Are there issues with Namura pistons?  I remember seeing tons of them on ebay at one point.

I forgot to mention the kit includes piston rings.

There has been issues reported with Namura , some say they are ok .

Personally , I would rather spend the $100.00 more and feel secure with the cylinder works kit .

+1,  when jawknee21 returns to Cali im buying the CW kit and have him ''DO WORK''.  

• Like 3

Cool .. You will like the way the BB increases the Torque , no need to use Big Revs .

Thanks,  i figure since im gonna be keeping the bike for a long long time,  might as well get the most out of it,   thinking once i go BBK then i can drop down from  41 to 39 on the rear.

There has been issues reported with Namura , some say they are ok .

Personally , I would rather spend the $100.00 more and feel secure with the cylinder works kit .

There is not enough information to feel insecure with this kit.  The rubber will meet the road next week when I install it and take it out for ride.

There is not enough information to feel insecure with this kit.  The rubber will meet the road next week when I install it and take it out for ride.

If you really want to know.

Do a leak down test before you install.. Do one after install. Do another 10 hours after install.. and then one in 6 months. All with the same tester and procedure.

Should take no more than 30 min or so per test.

• Like 2

If you really want to know.

Do a leak down test before you install.. Do one after install. Do another 10 hours after install.. and then one in 6 months. All with the same tester and procedure.

Should take no more than 30 min or so per test.

Agreed, I had planned on doing this, at 10 and 50 hours.  I could do another at the end of the season, be good to get that data point.

My current stock top end has significant blow-by (I did a leak-down test on it in fall), and that explains the oil consumption I have seen.  I will confirm when I have it apart and measure cylinder to wall and look at rings.  The thing still runs well and starts right up, but the oil consumption is super high, 1 pint every 150 miles!

I am replacing the cam chain as well, got a Wiseco coming.

I ride about 2-3 hours per day for my commute, so these parts will get some time one them quickly.

• Like 1

Well, its installed.  Work has had me tied up, so I have not had time.  A fathers day present to me!

More information:

Stock DRZ piston is forged, the kit piston is cast.  Its lighter than the stock piston by a couple of grams, as castings usually are.

The kit includes both S and E base gaskets.  I installed the E gasket and now will run 93.  Whatever.

I assembled the bike without issue, and it fired right up.  A leakdown shows a very small amount of leak, less than 1 PSI.  This is expected.  It does not sound any different than before from what I can tell.

My stock cylinder looks like brand new, looks like the stock piston to wall clearence is too big (.006 or so), and it looks like my oil control ring has seen better days.  This explains my high oil consumption.  Note that this was caused by the gas-oil issue the DRZ's have with the flakey vacuum petcock.  Do yourself a favor and make sure your needle/seat are good, and install the manual petcock (and use it).

The bike will be getting some miles on it over the next couple of weeks, I will update this thread if anything new comes up or at the first oil change.  I plan on doing a leakdown and compression test at the first oil change.

Happy fathers day!  Ride safe!

TJ

• Like 7

Well, its installed.  Work has had me tied up, so I have not had time.  A fathers day present to me!

More information:

Stock DRZ piston is forged, the kit piston is cast.  Its lighter than the stock piston by a couple of grams, as castings usually are.

The kit includes both S and E base gaskets.  I installed the E gasket and now will run 93.  Whatever.

I assembled the bike without issue, and it fired right up.  A leakdown shows a very small amount of leak, less than 1 PSI.  This is expected.  It does not sound any different than before from what I can tell.

My stock cylinder looks like brand new, looks like the stock piston to wall clearence is too big (.006 or so), and it looks like my oil control ring has seen better days.  This explains my high oil consumption.  Note that this was caused by the gas-oil issue the DRZ's have with the flakey vacuum petcock.  Do yourself a favor and make sure your needle/seat are good, and install the manual petcock (and use it).

The bike will be getting some miles on it over the next couple of weeks, I will update this thread if anything new comes up or at the first oil change.  I plan on doing a leakdown and compression test at the first oil change.

Happy fathers day!  Ride safe!

TJ

1000 miles and going strong, no issues to report.  There has been NO oil consumption, doing an oil change now, plan on doing leakdown soon.

Ride safe!

TJ

• Like 1

Curios if this thing is still together and how it's holding up. Still working or did it go south?

• Like 1

Me tooo....

1000 miles and going strong, no issues to report.  There has been NO oil consumption, doing an oil change now, plan on doing leakdown soon.

Ride safe!

TJ

Edited by Syanur

Did you toss the oem piston? I could use it for measuring if you still have it, and of course I'll pay shipping.

I am happy to report 6K miles and still going strong.  Bike fires up and does not consume any oil.

Ride safe!

TJ

Nice  :thumbsup:

Leak down test ??