Sign in to follow this  

2014 250 XC

So I been looking for another 2 stroke. Regretfully sold my RM 250 last fall.

I am looking for something similar to my RM but with a bigger tank and tuneable suspension.

Don't ride any track just trails.

Originally I wanted the 250 sx but thinking the XC might be a better choice for trail riding..

Anybody own a 250XC? Would like to hear an owners opinion

Thx

I have a 300xc and I used to ride an 07 RM 250 that was the first bike I bought new. I think that no question you should get the XC over the SX if you plan on only trail riding. You get a bigger tank, side stand, 18" rear, heavier crank, enough stator output to run a light, and most importantly an electric start (depending on what year you are looking for). It won't feel quite like your RM but for trail and single track the KTM will be hard to beat.

the xc will be slower revving than your rm, unless you had a flywheel weight on it. 

the xc wil have a much better valve stack catered to the woods than the rm.

If you say that you are only riding trails, i would recommend the 250 xc-w. as its is a trail bike, wide ratio transmission (Compared to the xc) No linkage to service and single chamber forks. If you're mechanically inclined you can rebuild them yourself in your garage with a fork seal driver, and a cap wrench.

The XC is a great bike, the xc-w seems more up your ally if your just trail riding.

Don't sell the xcw too short. If you like a hard hittin power band adjust the powervalve. I came off a cr250 and found the power a little mellow below the powerband. I just ordered the sx head and may get the cdi too. The link less swingarm is still quite capable. Even on the track.

• Like 1

I agree with the wheely monster, I got the xcw cause of a sweet deal but wanted the xc. I couldn't be happier! I used to ride a rm250 and went to a four stroke and was in love. Now with a trail specific bike I'm pumped I'm back on a 2 stroke! The xcw is more geared for tight technical single track but does just fine in the higher speed stuff. Never did ride a xc though.

The W is a good bike but it kind of depends what you ride the most W are geared and suspended from the factory for more of a slower gnarlier type of riding while the XC is geared a little higher in first second and third(on the new ones) and the suspension is not as "plush" but work much better if you are going fast. Both are good bikes

It seems like there is a XC vs W thread every couple days and no one really seems to come to an agreement. The XC riders say it's the best and the same for the W riders.

Thx everyone ..agree with ya pre-mixed. I have been all over this forum, ktmtalk etc. most guys are running 300's.

anyway I'm gonna stick with the 250 xc choice. Play with it a bit, see where it takes me:)