Sign in to follow this  

Brembo brakes for my yzf!

I'm sure you all know by now the legendary stopping power of the ktm brembo brakes.....ever wonder what gives them super human strength.....could it be the master, could it be the slave, a combination of both....well, I'm not sure this will cure cancer, but I think I just might have the right answer. Bit to get you there, I need to tell a little bit of a story...short it will be. I'm building a ktm kx500 hybrid. This hybrid has Yamaha yzf 450 forks on it. Now I tried to go the best of all worlds....mating a full brembo brake package to the forks.....but, way too much custom machining to get the caliper to mate to the forks....so I stuck with the yzf caliper....but I wanted to stick with ktm levers, so I bought a brembo master cylinder on ebay....I think it was $100 bucks....the yzf brake line mates perfectly to the brembo master......see where I'm going here.....a magical thing happened when I mated the two (yzf brake caliper with a brembo master). The sponges feel went away.....I am totally serious....the front stopping power here could literally launch you into orbit. So,I thought.....nah....couldn't be....so I switched the master back to a yzf master....just to check my sanity.....could it be true???? Yzf was sponges....you know what I mean.....switched back to brembo....it was solid, with excellent touch......so there you have it.....tired of ktm guys telling you how great their stoppers are.....well you could easily rectify that with a 100 dollar ebay purchase....worked for me!

i have heard this before brembo master + Nissin caliper = power

always wondered which master cylinder bore size to use.

I just used a master that came off a KTM 450 SXF

Very interesting...i never really thought bout it being that easy...if it is. I'll talk to my bro in law bout it, hes a KTM slappy and a frequent browser of things for sale of all things dirt bike...so maybe he'd see one come along. Because I do agree mine has a somewhat soft feel to it (newer pads/fluid, etc).

I've had 2 KTM 300EXCs, and you're right about the front brakes.  You've see the videos of KTM guys doing stoppies, and I never could figure out how they were doing it.  On my first time out with the '95 bike, I was coming in hot to a turn.  I puckered up, squeezed the front, and I felt the rear come up and start floating around.  WOW, got lucky.

The 98 would do the same thing.  Front stainless steel braided lines help to give you more feel and do not expand when the pressure goes up so that might give you similar results with Yamaha parts.  So yeah, sounds like a great combo for you.  Remember, be careful with it.

The gieco honda team ran brembo master cylinders a season or two ago also.

Geeze, and here I thought I stumbled upon some semblance of greatness!   I did a google search of Geico Honda Brembo and I found an MXA Article where they test rode Trey Caranrd's Geico Factory Honda, Article dated July 6, 2010.   Sure enough there it is.....http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-tests/we-ride-trey-canards-geico-honda-crf250