Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

2003 XR400 had choke in wrong position and may have caused damage?

I did the classic "choke is off" when it was most certainly in the on position. Now I know the difference between up-on and down-off. Dur.

Prior to my realization, I got the bike started and it was pouring out smoke. It looked white, like burning oil. Also it refused to idle (likely because I unknowingly had the choke on). I then checked the oil and noticed how low it was, so I topped her off and filed off the plug a bit.

Once I figured the choke out and got the bike running smooth again with the choke off, the smoke has stopped, and everything seems fine.

The thing is, I just don't understand why running the bike excessively with choke-on was producing mass amounts of white smoke.

I am hoping I didn't cause any damage and I'm reaching out for any information. The bike is a pain to start but I can attribute this to my lack of XR4 experience. I have no experience with working on engines, though I do hope to become completely self-reliant in time. If you could advise me what to check out in the engine then I can start google search for how-to's.

Thanks folks!

The worse you could do with the choke on is foul a plug and add a little carbon.  Don't worry about it.

To start the beast put the choke on, turn the idle scerw in one half turn, push the kick starter through three to four times, WITH HAND OFF THE THROTTLE, push the kick starter to top dead center, ratchet it up to the top and kick to start.  First kick to start guaranteed.

Edited by XR-rated

Only if jetted properly. Most are too lean on the pilot if someone has not changed the factory original jetting. A 60 or 62 pilot really helps starting. I would start with the 62 at near sea level.