Sign in to follow this  

KTM 2smokers, making my head spin.

Got the new bike itch pretty bad.  Some decent deals to be had here and there on some new KTM's pro's and con's to each purchase making things hard to decide :banghead:

Quick back ground.  Been riding for quite some time, don't race, mostly aggressive mix trail riding, boney piles some technical stuff on occasion.  Rode 125 2 strokes for quite some time, love'em but doesn't have enough grunt for some of the technical hill climbs I like to do.

Moved to an 03 yz250, like it a lot, love the hit but the other mechanics of the bike are getting out dated and well I just want a new bike is that wrong of me? 

Interested in 3 ktm offerings.  sx 250, 300xc and 300xc-w

Thinking I could be content with either one and if not do some changes to make it more what I want but here is the dilemma as it gets more complicated than just that.

Local dealer has left over 13 xc-w $8k OTD after taxes, considering it cuz it's local, easy peasy I could have it tomorrow but not #1 on my list, thinking the 300xc is the best of both worlds, I kind of want linkage but I think I could get used to PDS, but I don't want to spring for the 14 xc at this place for what they are asking. But the 14 comes with engine adjustments that I feel like I would prefer vs 13 model. :goofy:

Local dealer has 14 250sx OTD $7500ish, Like it is lighter, harder hit, linkage, and a 14. and local.  Kinda want a 300 though :facepalm:

Dealer 4hr away has 14 300xc OTD $7600, seems like a steal? when are 15's due out? month? 2? 3? wish I new? either way This was the bike I originally wanted.  Linkage, Closed cartridge, and with the 14 it has engine updates to make it a little more responsive. Only down side is 8hr round trip,  There is another dealer closer that has one listed at good price but need to verify OTD that would be even better 4hr round trip.  If this is OTD it would be hard for me to pass up but they might have even better deal on 14 250sx :jawdrop:

Summary

xc-w - like 300, woods oriented is appealing (makes me feel old though) PDS.. would get used to it probably but high speed hits concern me, open cartridge... I wouldn't notice difference. E start..who cares? Kind of like the Odometer and head light though. Lighter than regular xc, 13 model doesn't have 14 updates but I could probably get head work done to make up for it. 18" rear wheel I like, local, super easy

xc - like 300, woods and mx capabilities, linkage what I am used to, closed cartridge, 14 model has engine updates, it is a bit heavy, not sure how much I would notice though? milder power delivery vs SX, 18" rear wheel I like.  Need to travel to get bike, me no like.  Trying to talk local dealer down in price on their 14xc but it will still be at least $500 more than other bikei could travel for, probably more.  

SX - like everything about it for the most part other than it is 250cc, and no 18" rear wheel, local but for same price as xc if I travel for xc? But SX might be cheaper if I travel as well?

Is the 300 gonna feel to tame coming off a yz250? Again I can probably do some mods to make it a little more responsive?  Should I just get a 250 SX? I can always do the 300 kit if I don't like it right?

am I over thinking this? :crazy:  and this is just with 3 bikes from the KTM line up, glad I got at least this far before I started going crazy.

EDIT: cleared some things up,  One of the pro's to buying bike further away was potentially avoiding paying tax as bike would be purchased out of state and I have no interest in registering the bike in my current state, but if I have to finance the bike either way there is no way around the tax.  Something else to consider.

but did confirm OTD price less tax from closer out of state dealer.  $7700 for 300xc and $6600 OTD for 14 250SX These are front runners right now.  Add $500 ish for tax if I decide to finance though. 

Edited by subxero

Too much analysis leads to paralysis…… 

Each bike is mainly set up for a type of riding.  Pick the type you like best and ride….

• Like 2

good advice!

I am leaning toward the 250sx.  It should be everything I want and more and for less money. + in a year or two I can always spring for a 300 kit :ride:

Unless you only ride tracks, spend the extra money and get the 300XC. It will be more versatile than the 250. The XC is a bike that is capable of doing everything with minimal compromise.

CoKTM

• Like 4

I like everything about the 300 xc except for the weight.  I have been looking into things still.  I feel like I could get a 300 kit at a good price which comes with an XC cdi ignition timer what ever you want to call it if I wanted to mellow things out along with all the other things you can adjust to change the power curve.  Even with the 300 kit I would be under the cost of a 14 xc giving me spare change to spring for a silencer and pipe if I wanted.  Definitely silencer might try the stock pipe for a bit before I pull the trigger on that though.

That would pretty much put me almost even with the 300 xc less the tranny and suspension but suspension would need tuned on either so that cancels out leaving just the tranny and I would still be lighter than the XC. 

I would have to get a good deal on the 300 XC for me to consider it now I think.  I feel like my dealer is way more flexible on the SX than any of the 300 models.  I can get the 14 SX at $7200 OTD after taxes, $8200 after taxes OTD for the 14 XC would make me think hard, but that would be around $7600 for the bike after their stealership fees before taxes.  I just don't see that happening. 

Ill definitely try though as the 300XC would save me some time futzing with the 250, I could probably lose some things to cut weight if I thought the bike felt a little to heavy. 

Ill probably look to buy next week.  I just sold my truck and I need to wait for all the funds to get released and I need to figure out logistics of it all now that I don't have a truck :/ so I am looking at trailers as well, at least that isn't quite as complicated as buying a new bike ;)

Edited by subxero

Weight? You kidding me? What are you talking 10 pounds? 15 maybe? Shit I'll carry that on my back for a full day ride. If you're not racing then couch it out and be comfy. That's the end goal right? As fun as it can be? Build that bitch to ride all day. Gushy plush suspension, auto clutch, pivot pegz, flex bars...yeah set it up to be on all day comfy. My rig tips in at 280. I call it the pig bus. But it sure is fun and at the end of the day I'm not near as beat up as I was on my nervous 210 pound 200xc. Yeah that was enough....lilbouncyorangepos...you can give me a 260 plus pound 450 anytime. I'll get around just fine. Go with the 300.

Edited by poconovfr
  • Like 1

I like some technical hill climbs and trying to lift pick up and move a 280lb bike in a tight area to get it pointed back down the hill is out of the question.  XC is only 10-15lbs more but that is a good bit on a 2stroke, but weight is not the only thing.  Lots of small things add up and I feel good about my decision going for the SX.

It's not like I am just putting around, i ride aggressive.  The SX I can get for more than $1k cheaper, I like the snappier engine response, that is one reason why I ride a 2 stroke and not a 4 stroke in the first place.  If I'm going to build my 2 like a 4, why not just get a 4?  I like that with the 250sx I have options with the engine and tuning, I can go to 300 kit easily, and with it get the xc ecu as well for more tuning options or just keep it 2fiddy. 

I was planning on splurging on the 300 kit right off the bat but I am thinking I will hold off now for a little bit and keep the stock cylinder for this season. 

Edited by subxero

300. Hands down. Ready for your style of riding as soon as you put fuel in it. 300 two stroke is the most versatile bike around

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400681897.191170.jpg

Why get a 250 motocross bike just to make it a 300xc? Making that sx into a 300 is gonna cost more than you would of paid for the 3 hundo.

• Like 1

Rode a 12 300xc last week with a apt smart carb. Red Pv spring and ignition set to race. Just as exciting motor wise as a yz250 but with usable power everywhere. Low end power was crazy strong with a big tug right off the bottom. 300xc is nice!

• Like 1

Rode a 12 300xc last week with a apt smart carb. Red Pv spring and ignition set to race. Just as exciting motor wise as a yz250 but with usable power everywhere. Low end power was crazy strong with a big tug right off the bottom. 300xc is nice!

Not to jack the thread, but how did you like it compared to the Husky?

Not to jack the thread, but how did you like it compared to the Husky?

My husky would no doubt benefit from smart carb too but it's also the Italian version so definitely apples oranges here. I like my husky huge Ergos better, joes Ktm brakes seemed stronger, the low end on joes was stronger too, the usability of entire rev range on joes Ktm was more versatile, etc. That said, I still like my husky. Can't say I like it more or less they're just different but both great improvements over a 250 mx two stroke.

Also had a chance to ride a Lectron Italian husky 300 last week. Nice mod but I would go the extra mile and get an APT if I was carb swapping. My so-called junky Mikuni works well and produces 33mpg. Good enuf.

• Like 2

Like I had mentioned, originally I wanted the 300xc but my dealer won't budge on the price.  I have $7200 OTD after taxes on the 250sx and closer to $9k OTD on the 14 300xc.  If I could get $8200 OTD on the xc I would probably be all over it as I do think it is more versatile and caters to the wide range of riding I do off the showroom floor as is.  But SX for $1800 less... I can't do the xc.  Again I can get 300 kit for $700 which is bolt on and comes with xc ignition timer.  If I used the xc ignition, probably wouldn't anyway, I would still be way under cost of xc with spare cash for, pipe, silencer and pro action revalve of suspension.  Only thing xc would have then is larger tank and, different tranny, electronic start and some wiring that doesn't get used anyway.  All of which is not really that important to me. 

I think the problem with the dealer might be they are trying to push the 14 SX more because they have more to sell and maybe they don't sell as well in my area over the 14 300xc.  They still have some of the best prices I have seen around except one place not to far that has a 300 xc at $8200 OTD after taxes. 

SX just seems like the better buy at this point and I do have some cash laying around but I don't know if I can justify the extra cost in my mind.  I have my yz up for sale, list price is high for now as I just put it up so I don't get many calls but if I end up selling the yz before I buy that could swede me to get the 14 300xc.  I probably won't come down much in price on the yz, it is in to good of shape and it is worth more to me just as a spare or a lender if one of my buddies wants to ride with me. 

Either will be awesome so I'm not really sweating it anymore, both will be different than the yz and new is exciting pretty much regardless. 

Edited by subxero

The 300xc is definitely what you want. The thing will go anywhere and take any challenge u throw at it. Spend the extra and get the xc

Keep looking you can find a better deal. Buy a used very low hour newer bike. Even look into the "christini 300xc" which is a 2 wheel drive bike that came out in 2013 I beleive. There's one in my area used for 6500$

Like I had mentioned, originally I wanted the 300xc but my dealer won't budge on the price. I have $7200 OTD after taxes on the 250sx and closer to $9k OTD on the 14 300xc. If I could get $8200 OTD on the xc I would probably be all over it as I do think it is more versatile and caters to the wide range of riding I do off the showroom floor as is. But SX for $1800 less... I can't do the xc. Again I can get 300 kit for $700 which is bolt on and comes with xc ignition timer. If I used the xc ignition, probably wouldn't anyway, I would still be way under cost of xc with spare cash for, pipe, silencer and pro action revalve of suspension. Only thing xc would have then is larger tank and, different tranny, electronic start and some wiring that doesn't get used anyway. All of which is not really that important to me.

I think the problem with the dealer might be they are trying to push the 14 SX more because they have more to sell and maybe they don't sell as well in my area over the 14 300xc. They still have some of the best prices I have seen around except one place not to far that has a 300 xc at $8200 OTD after taxes.

SX just seems like the better buy at this point and I do have some cash laying around but I don't know if I can justify the extra cost in my mind. I have my yz up for sale, list price is high for now as I just put it up so I don't get many calls but if I end up selling the yz before I buy that could swede me to get the 14 300xc. I probably won't come down much in price on the yz, it is in to good of shape and it is worth more to me just as a spare or a lender if one of my buddies wants to ride with me.

Either will be awesome so I'm not really sweating it anymore, both will be different than the yz and new is exciting pretty much regardless.

No 13s around? I love mine, and really haven't heard any compelling argument that the forks on the 14 are any better. I got mine in December in NC for $7800