Sign in to follow this  

Riding motorcycle at age 17/18?

Hey guys just wanted some input one what you think. I'm 15 right now and I've been riding dirt bikes for about 3 years. I love it so much and sometimes I hop on my bike and ride to a friends house. I want to know what your guys opinion is on riding a street legal dirtbike at age 17/18 is. I wouldn't be riding a street bike, most likely a 250f. I also wouldn't be riding on highway. It would be to ride a couple miles to school and some friends houses. Any ideas?

i've been riding street bikes since 14 (in iowa its legal :ride: ) go for soemthing cheap though, because you're going to ride the hell out of the bike no matter what you say now, buy a cheap older xj550 650 kz550 650 cb750 gs650 etc, old standard bikes from the eighties, they're cheap cheap cheap 500 -1000 dollars for a decent bike, and they're cheaaaap on insurance.

• Like 2

Hey guys just wanted some input one what you think. I'm 15 right now and I've been riding dirt bikes for about 3 years. I love it so much and sometimes I hop on my bike and ride to a friends house. I want to know what your guys opinion is on riding a street legal dirtbike at age 17/18 is. I wouldn't be riding a street bike, most likely a 250f. I also wouldn't be riding on highway. It would be to ride a couple miles to school and some friends houses. Any ideas?

You will be fine, so long as you aren't silly (I struggle with this bit) and look out for the cagers. Anything else you wanna know?

Here is my opinion:

Small dirtbikes are suckage on road IMO. I've got motard wheels on my KTM and find it to be acceptable, but any distance more than short highway riding is out. (doesn't affect you anyway)

If you are going to be doing more street, look for a cheap older street bike such as a GPX250.

Also a good street or dual sport helmet is a good bet too. It cuts down on noise and adds comfort.

Street riding will put miles on your 250f quick too, just remember that.

• Like 1

Awesome thanks for the input guys. I already have a trail bike for the woods. I think I might go for a 450 and make it a super moto. I also have a little bit of a problem convincing my parents. They're kinda off and on about it. I think I can make them say yes to it. Any suggestions?

I'd say cars would be your biggest threat, since that's a huge reason why my mom is weary of me taking mine out. My dad just tells me to be careful, watch your back. But I ride a moving traffic cone so I'm pretty easy to spot on the road I guess.

Just make sure you have your cycle endorsement and have the registration info for the bike on you.

Edited by kawboy96

Parents shouldn't trust kids on motorcycles. 

If your parents do allow you to have one..........just make sure when you're riding, not to text to your friend Billy that if he heard the rumor that Suzy plans to dump her boyfriend Johnathon right before prom because she caught him making out with Sally under the bleachers after school one day.

Awesome thanks guys. I'd call my self responsible for my age and I'm always careful on my dirt bike, on or off the road.

Do you guys happen to have any recommendations on what bike to get? What are the advances on riding in super moto wheels vs dirt/street tires?

Supermoto wheels make it way fun!! Dirt tires suck on the road and the knobs get ripped off.  I would recommend a 450 mainly because you will be gearing the bike for a higher top speed than for dirt use.  The extra power helps.

Awesome thanks for the input guys. I already have a trail bike for the woods. I think I might go for a 450 and make it a super moto. I also have a little bit of a problem convincing my parents. They're kinda off and on about it. I think I can make them say yes to it. Any suggestions?

Considering you already have one dirt bike for the dirt, you may as well buy a street bike.

You WILL wanna ride further than just around town.

Why?

To get to corners, away from traffic, cops and bugging people

and there are some great bikes going cheap-ish (cheaper than a decent 450 for sure). Believe me, don't buy a second DB just for the road!

Here are my gripes with road riding a trail bike:

The seat, even with an after market one it sucks on long roads

the seating position is straight up into the wind

There is no screen

It revs hard at 100km/h (60mph)

I can't ride it on the pipe because I'd be speeding

Lack of range (is a big one)

Its tall

I can't lock it without a disc lock, there is no ignition switch

Its advantages are:

It accelerates kind-of hard

It is light and manoeuvrable

Reality:

For me there are no nice cornering roads close to town. So any fun has to be had in industrial suburbs, or I have to trailer (whats the point of a street registered bike then? ).

I'm stuck riding my trail bike on road and wish I had a nice cb400/4 or something similar, even a 250 nighthawk is better for street than my 200 which I love.

Supermotos are for racing around go cart tracks or tight road courses and hooning.

Street bikes are nice but, 1: my parents would have a heart attack if they saw me on one. and 2: I dont expect to go anymore then about 45-50 MPH.  I am also much more comfortable on a dirt bike.  Now my main choice is:do i go with super moto, or dual sport?? 

Street bikes are nice but, 1: my parents would have a heart attack if they saw me on one. and 2: I dont expect to go anymore then about 45-50 MPH.  I am also much more comfortable on a dirt bike.  Now my main choice is:do i go with super moto, or dual sport?? 

I know what you mean about your folks, many parents do not like the idea of their kids on the road mine included.  But I think you should still be trying to rationalise a street bike because its more practical. IMO its hard to keep a bike used in the dirt road worthy.

Finally, the risk you put yourself to IS THERE BECAUSE YOU'RE ON THE ROAD, its not the bike, its the road hazards.

Sure an inexperienced rider on a powerful bike is a recipe for disaster, but the smaller street bikes have less urge than a 450, clutches and gearboxes designed for road use, are lower, bigger mirrors, more solid, better riding position. etc.

But, to answer your question:

I'd go for a dual sport with a set of SuMo rims. This is exactly what I do. And I love it. 

But I miss so many rides out to nice places because its not a proper road bike.

Awesome thanks a lot big push, you helped a ton :)
I know that its not the bike that is the hazard its the road and everything on it, but unfortunately my parents dont know that. They just dont like the riding position of the bike and they'd think ill be going fast :p Anyways thanks a lot!

• Like 1

Awesome thanks a lot big push, you helped a ton :)

I know that its not the bike that is the hazard its the road and everything on it, but unfortunately my parents dont know that. They just dont like the riding position of the bike and they'd think ill be going fast :p Anyways thanks a lot!

Lol heaps of people call me "big push"

I aint talkin' bout turdin'..... just riding bikes in the bush.

Believe me, a Motard WILL make you raise hell! My 200 sounds so &%$#@!in good going through the gears with a decent load on it. You can't resist clicking up.

lmbo

• Like 1

What's ur budget?? Are you planning to buy another bike for this??

What's ur budget?? Are you planning to buy another bike for this??

I actually was planning on buying a bike for this :p

I dont think id spend any more then 4k, maybe 5k?  I have access to a car so i would be working and paying for this my self.  Plus any mechanical problems i can solve myself so it shouldn't be to hard to buy another bike

I won't let my 18yo son ride a street bike until he's off and on his own.  My parents did the same with me.

As a teenager, the frontal lobe of your brain isn't yet fully developed.  This is the area responsible for impulse control.  This is why teenagers tend to do stupid things (along with lack of experience).  There's a reason why insurance rates are higher for teens.  They get into more accidents.

If you crash a car, you have a better chance of surviving that if you are on a bike.

That being said, I think dirt bike riders make better street bike riders.  Dirt bike riders know what it's like to fall off at 20 mph and are able to handle a bike in difficult situations.

One of my son's friends recently killed himself on a bike.  He was trying to run from the cops.

I actually was planning on buying a bike for this :p

I dont think id spend any more then 4k, maybe 5k? I have access to a car so i would be working and paying for this my self. Plus any mechanical problems i can solve myself so it shouldn't be to hard to buy another bike

I was in ur shoes in high school. Never would I again want a dirt bike only for the road. Gotta get a truck for transporting the dirty dirt bike AND transportation. Then consider a street bike.

• Like 1