Sign in to follow this  

New KLX450 (to me), got from an estate sale

Hi,

I just picked up a 2008 KLX450 from an estate sale.  Last ridden in 2009 (November) and has been sitting since.  According to the information I have gathered, it was desert ridden (at least somewhat). I haven't had time to do anything other than look at it a little and bring it home.  Oil is clear and clean, coolant clean and topped off and no leaks.

It has an aftermarket exhaust, MX number plate and Scotts steering dampener as the only visible modifications.  There was a mouse nest in the airbox, battery is dead and lighting harness is wrapped and taped up. I plan to make the bike into a dual sport with the Tusk dual sport kit and Trail Tech X2 Headlight.

As I have never ridden a KLX, I have some questions.  The forks seem extremely stiff and I believe the previous owner had them modified (again from the grapevine). 

Usually, off road versions of mx bikes have fairly plush suspension.  What should I look for or can I adjust?  I have ordered a factory service manual.

Any suggestions of where to start first?

I bought my klx450r a week ago. The front shocks have a flat blade screwdriver adjusting screw at the tops of shocks and bottom one is dampening the other rebound. They have about 20 clicks each of adjustment. The factory adj is about 10 clicks. Screw them all the way in counting the number of clicks. Then adj to desire. Turn clockwise to harding counterclockwise to soften

The suspension is trail and the weight range is around 155-165 range stock. When it's dialed in right it's a super sweet ride. You'll need to have the stator rewired for the kit. The stock set up blows. If everything inside the engine is stock it'll have gobs of low end real good mid and a descent top. By no means is it an mx'r. The bike is heavy for tight stuff but I just chalk that up to making me a better rider. Run the chain a little tighter or live with the noise. She's a loud bitch to the point you will swear the internals are coming apart. Congrats on the find they are great bikes. If I could buy a new one I would be first in line.

006.JPG

Edited by poconovfr

Well, if that's the case, the suspension has been pretty seriously modded.  I know the previous owner was at least 190 and I am about the same and the forks don't move plushly. (The highly technical and accurate garage bounce test) In fact, it was a bitch to tie down and only compressed about halfway. Going with the fact it was desert ridden in New Mexico and CA would make it significantly different than an Ohio woods bike, dual sport legal, which is what I intend to use it for. I also assume that is the reasoning behind the Scotts Steering Dampener.  Did these bikes come with Fat Bar mounts or is that added too?

No they don't come with fat bar mounts,I found the stock bars and mounts to be useless and forever bending and twisting,better to replace with a one piece bar mount and use fat bars.

• Like 1

break down the forks and see what is in there..how long did it sit? Good chance there's a set of mondo big boy springs in there. lol

Edited by poconovfr

Sat from Nov 2009 until last Thursday.  Since the headlight is missing, I am also considering the Baja Designs kit, since there is TT member discount.  I don't want a mix of part that may or may not work and like that the BD kit contains most of the electronics in the headlight. I like t he BD kit also has a key switch included in the kit.  I had one on my Yamaha WR400 and it worked fine.

I also think you should download the pdf service manual and break down the forks.

I put the big boy springs in mine and change oil in both internal and external tanks once a year. The oil is always very silvery from all the wear. They are plush(to me) but the big boy springs wear into the side of the internal tank pretty bad. I have ~6500 miles now and would guess I only have about 1500 miles left before they breach the wall of the internal tank.

I would think yours has heavy metal buildup as well as too thick of oil. I like Bellray 7W.

• Like 1

Finally got to work on it. AIS is intact and untouched. Tank full of nasty fuel. I took all the body work off, drained the tank. It has a Pro Circuit T4 slip on, appears to be a stock carb and air box. I ordered AIS block off kit and carb kit, since I have take it apart anyway.

Edited by SFDemo

I've got the bike put back together.  It cranks but doesn't seem to pop.  I can't tell if it is getting fuel yet.  I bought a used and supposedly taken off a running bike carb from eBay.  It bolted up nicely, installed the AIS block off kit and put it all back together. While it was apart I didn't check for spark, bike has compression.  I plan to give it a shot of starter fluid and add more fuel before I take it all apart again.  Any other duh! moments to check before restarting at square 1?  

Camera Download 5-22-2014 024.jpg

prolly have to clean the 'new' carb up.  The ethanol gas we run today turns to varnish rather quickly.  What was wrong with the original carb that made ya buy a 'used' one?

I am going to clean the original carb and jet it for the pipe, but it is going to be a long project, as the fuel was the consistency of jelly, no telling what else is wrong, plus I was impatient.  What does the connector behind the radiaor hook to?

It connects to the stator. One stator winding goes to the ignition control module which makes the surge for the primary side of the coil needed for each spark. Another stator winding drives the headlight with AC. The last winding goes to the diode rectifier and voltage regulator to make 12VDC. If you got no spark, this is a good place to start looking. The service manual shows ohm tests you can make at this point.

I rebuilt the carb and it fired right up. I adjusted the idle, put it all together. I rode down the drive, about a half mile, then it popped and died. No restart. Possible fouled plug? Any ideas?

Did you clean the gas tank and replace gas filter and gas lines. Old gas lines always flake off and reply things

Replug

Replug