Sign in to follow this  

Enduro boots' sole.. why so plain?

I don't know if my question is too silly.. but the other day a newcomer to enduro with his just bought equipment had a hard time in the mud trying to get his bike up after falling on a hill... and he said "these damn boots are useless! aren't they supposed to be designed for this kind of terrain?" and I didn't really know what to tell him... "I think every enduro boot is like that.." was my only comment..

Does anyone know why is that so? why not having more grippy soles?

I mean, there must be a technical answer... related with riding techniques.. right?

MX-Tread.jpg

against this desert-jungle-1.jpg

Edited by seppe sai

because they are designed for when you're ON the bike, not for when you're off.  So no, they are not designed for that type of terrain, they are designed for footpegs.

• Like 2

Not all boots are the same, and most seem to be for MX racing where bikedude's comment is right on. 

Sometimes a newcomer needs an old-timer's advice when buying equipment, lest they buy the wrong gear. Now your friend knows from first-hand experience to ask around first, read reviews, examine stuff with a critical eye, and not trust a salesman who just wants his money.

I ride with trials boots on the trail because they are a little shorter, lighter, and have enough tread to get a good shove on a "dab." It took me more than 50 years of trail riding to learn how well these trials boots suit my style of riding. I should have known. I started riding trials in high-top farmers' mud boots with lots of tread (if you see pictures of Sammy Miller riding trials, he's always wearing this kind of boot). Then I got a more "modern" buckle-type boot, but with smooth bottoms, typical MX style. They had lots of support, but I hated to side-hill while wearing them, because there was no traction whatever. Then, after years of suffering with them, I read Jimmy Lewis' review of the Alpinestars trials boot which he often wore when doing trail cleanup rides because they are as good off the bike as on, and comfortable all day long. They are the best boot I've ever worn, except for the break-in period.

i find that having lugs on the soles of my boots causes them to get hung up on the foot pegs when moving my feet around on the pegs. i also find i move my feet around on the foot pegs a lot in the woods as i switch from being on the balls of my feet to the arches so i can brake or shift and then back again.

the lugs can also cause you to get hung up on the foot pegs as you are sliding your foot off of them to dab...that can lead to falling over in rocks instead of dabbing and keeping yourself upright. DAMHIK.

i also want boots that have a lot of hard ankle and foot protection built into them. getting your foot/lower leg caught between the bike and a rock with soft boots sucks. again, DAMHIK.

no lugs for me anymore. and nothing but full blown MX boots (namely SG10s...which also happen to be super comfy) with lots of protection.

Edited by LittleRedToyota
  • Like 2

I like the "Enduro" soles for the SIDI Crossfire SRS. I wish the Crossfire TA had soles more like that, since the SRS soles tend to come off. I also like the shorter SIDI Discovery.  I find that the hassle of having more aggressive sole get hooked up a little on the pegs is outweighed the first time you have to push your bike in mud. it is difficult to find an economical boot that has enough flexibility to feel your foot controls and have an aggressive sole for gripping dirt, and yes, MX boots suck for trail riding/Enduros.

• Like 2

I have a pair of Moose M1.2s with the enduro sole. I like em for walking around and what not. Climbing up embankments and hills isn't near the circus act it used to be haha. I really don't have a TTTon of time in them but so far I haven't noticed them catch the pegs as bad as I thought they were going to. My last pair of flat boots I could barely get traction on dry grass let alone anything slick.

• Like 2

I have a pair of Moose M1.2s with the enduro sole. I like em for walking around and what not. Climbing up embankments and hills isn't near the circus act it used to be haha. I really don't have a TTTon of time in them but so far I haven't noticed them catch the pegs as bad as I thought they were going to. My last pair of flat boots I could barely get traction on dry grass let alone anything slick.

I tried the AlpineStar Tech 3 with ATV soles for about 6mos. the soles were good, but the toe box huge and I couldn't shift well with it. 

I have a pair of Dorma Terrain boots that have an enduro sole. Excellent boot for the money check'em out. The sole has a classic lug style pattern that works very well off the bike and I don't think I've ever got hung up on my pegs with them. I made an effort to try and notice but I never really did. I did have to order them from Italy though.

Oops I meant Forma boots. They are the Terrain Enduro series. Hers a pic

image.jpg

Forma is a great mx boot. Go try on a pair I'm glad I did. I have had mine for 8 months. I wear them one size smaller then shoe size. I will now only wear them.

I have a pair of the SIDI Crossfire 2's.  They came with MX soles (smooth)....I put the Enduro soles (lugged) on 'em and love them when you have to foot it in dicey conditions.

I just ordered a pair of Forma Boulder Trials boot. looks to be oiled leather and not a bunch of plastic

I don't like buying site unseen,,,, but ,, this boot seems to have some features that I like.

I should have them by next weekend,, I will share my thoughts then. :thumbsup:

$T2eC16NHJIYFHOFTlE+dBS(uTLweZ!~~60_57.jpg

Edited by Ducky Dog
  • Like 1

I have some NovoGAR trials boots as well as my Crossfire 2's.  Trials boots are comfortable (I actually wore them on the enduro bike this weekend for arrowing trails for a Sunday event), but they don't have near the support or protection that a proper MX/Enduro boot provides.

There have been a few times where my YZ250 has come down on my foot, and I was really glad I had stiff MX boots on and not the thinner trials boots.

I've also smacked into stumps with my toes....and that would hurt a lot more in leather trials footwear....it hurt a lot even with hard MX boots on! ;-)

Guess it would depend on how hard you ride the trails....

I do a lot of woods and trail riding and I've gotten stuck in a valley and had to walk around to find the best way out.  By chance, I DIDN'T have my MX boots on that day.  I'm glad I didn't.  It would have killed my feet to walk that far, along with pushing in heavy mud.  So, NEXT TIME, I'm buying the hinged style boot to make the inevitable walking part easier.

After trying a pair of Oneal MX boots, I just ordered a pair of Fly Racing ATV boots with a replaceable Vibram sole. Thor makes one too, but the Fly boots are 3-4 inches shorter and still seem to have decent shin, ankle and foot protection. I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered the MX boots. They're practically useless to me as soon as I get off the bike.

One of the first things I did when I switched from MX to HS and XC racing was have Vibram soles added to my fav boots. Now I'm just trail riding and fire roading in the Nat Forest and think the traction will be worth any risk of getting hung up on the pegs.

cheers

Got the Forma trials boot last week,,, they do come on the large side so I sent the 44 euro's back and got the 43"s which are a US 9 and since there a bit large they fit good.

I'm a 9.5 or 10 depending on brand. the boots are easy to adjust and they actually will flex when you walk in them, still a bit stiff but I am looking for a boot I can actually walk in when I out dual sporting. I havnt ridden in them yet but will return some time with another report.

Update: So I've got about 20 hours into my pair of Moose 1.2s(enduro sole) and all I can say is, I love these boots! Now that they're broken in a bit, walking around is awesome. I wouldn't use for full time MX duty being as they're a bit soft for jumping but man are they comfy! They were like ski boots at first like most but once they broke in, they aren't too bad at all off the bike. I haven't had any issues what so ever with the lugs catching on the pegs and they offer pretty kick ass grip when you need to dab or push off of something. My shin/knee pads fit nicely inside and they hinge really well at the ankle. I ride mostly trails and couldn't be happier, especially at the $145 price tag! Highly recommend!!!

Oops I meant Forma boots. They are the Terrain Enduro series. Hers a pic

Moose and Fox make this same sole if you ask around. I have found that most stores dont have them on the shelf as they tend to have more stuff for the track guys. I only ride trails and so all of my boots have this lugged sole. It is great when you are on a hill side picking up your bike (not that would ever happen) and you have some traction to go with it.

I am extremely interested in the Forma Trials Boot that Ducky Dog has got. I have always thought it was a good looking boot and I am about ready to make my next purchase. Currently I am only riding with Fox Tech 5's as cost was always a factor and these are under $200. Well the kids are not out growing their stuff every 6 months anymore so it is time for dad to get a little better equipment not that these are bad boots. They have served me well!

Looking forward to DD's review.

Edit: I meant to also mention that I have never had an issue with hanging up on the pegs. If you are not a track guy then I would definitely look for that sole only.

Edited by Weekend Rider

Man, the Forma Adventure boots look really nice and the Moose 1.2 as well. I've got a few rides on my cheapo Fly ATV boots and they're ok, well made of thick, stiff leather, complete layer of plastic on the inner that wraps around the toe, grippy sole, decent buckles, kinda' rinky-dink adjusters though. I had to adjust my shifter, but no complaints for fire roading and trails.

cheers

ok ,, I'm back with my first ride review with 4 hrs of time street and dirt 50/50

the Forma Boulder trials boot was a great fit for me as I do lite trail riding with a few moments of glory, like popping wheelies and getting small air occasionally.

they are a little lighter than your regular boot as I was able to through my leg over the fender easily. while riding they were almost unnoticeable, meaning I forgot I had riding boots on.

only a few times did I get stuck to the peg on my shifter side cause that's the foot I move around most. might have been cause their new I don't know. they didn't catch all the time just twice.

so far I love them and want to wear them again. unlike my previous boots I was hesitant to wear.

• Like 2