Sign in to follow this  

New Chain

Hi guys.  Yet another n00b question from yours truly.  I'm putting on a new chain on my 98 XRL.  I dont want to measure the old one for length because the guy who had the bike before me had a 14T and a 50T on the bike.  I'm back at stock 15/45 now and don't know how long the chain should be versus what number is good to have the tensionors set at on the rear axle.  PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

EDIT:  The master link also came with a flat piece as well as a clip.  Which one to use?  

Edited by dropmech

110 links, adjusters will likely be somewhere between 20 - 25.  Make sure you set the tension correctly, it appears many of us (including myself when I first got the bike) err on the tight side...

The flat piece goes on the link then the clip, don't forget to lube before install and don't forget the O-rings.

• Like 1

The clips closed end also goes towards the way the chain runs..ie,,towards the front of the bike

on your upper chain section. Some of those flat pieces and clips are a bit of a nightmare to get on

if the chain is an o-ring. You need to use a small G-clamp with a fine point filed into it where the wobbly

flat bit usually goes. You whack the wobbly bit off then file the leftover steel bit down to a semi point. You

then use the clamp to crush the flat bit and link together then manipulate your clip around the point and snap

it into position with some pliers..That's a cheap DIY mans tool the G-clamp thing..

Edited by Horri

Whenever I install a chain on a motorcycle, I just put it all in place, set the adjuster in the middle, then figure out what length gets me closest to that.

With my XR650L I have the added issue that I change sprocket sizes quite often, so a 15/48 sprocket set needs to be near the front of the adjustment range to still work with a 14/45 sprocket set (4 more teeth).

My current chain has a clip master link, but I'll be going with a rivet master link on my next chain.  I trust those more.

As to the clip orientation, I'm not sure the explanation above was quite clear enough.  You want the clip so that if anything hits it when the bike is moving forward, it pushes the clip on tighter rather than popping it off.

For chain adjustment, the thing that works best for me is to push down the top of the chain with the bike on the sidestand.  If I can just get it to touch the back end of the plastic rub strip on the top of the swingarm it's adjusted right.  Way easier than trying to measure slack.

• Like 2