Sign in to follow this  

The good, the bad and the ugly!

I've been a member of TT for over a year now and the information I have received over that time has been priceless and I appreciate the time TT members give to help out. ( speaking from the heart lol! )

So once again I am looking for some good advice from people with the experience.

In the next few weeks I am looking to get myself another bike after selling my 04 crf 450, which I used for some trail riding and fun. To be honest the 450 was a but too much for me so I'm leaning towards a 250 as I plan on using it mainly on tracks. With my budget I'm looking to get anything from 10 up to 13 with a push, colour is not an issue and I'm open minded to both 4t's and 2t's.

So my question is this..... Is there any bikes/years to avoid in that era that people have had bad experience with or have common issues?

Im not going to ride it every weekend religiously and not going to be bouncing off the limiter so reliability is more important to me because if I have to pump more money into it once I've bought it, the wife will kill me.

Thanks in advance for any information shared!

I'd say stay away from first year bikes, as in first year efi, suspension etc. I'd say the newer the better. Unless you're buying a 2 stroke then get the best deal possible!

I know that most modern mx bikes are pretty reliable and good maintenance is obviously key, just looking for experienced opinion.

Thanks for the reply

I've been a member of TT for over a year now and the information I have received over that time has been priceless and I appreciate the time TT members give to help out. ( speaking from the heart lol! )

So once again I am looking for some good advice from people with the experience.

In the next few weeks I am looking to get myself another bike after selling my 04 crf 450, which I used for some trail riding and fun. To be honest the 450 was a but too much for me so I'm leaning towards a 250 as I plan on using it mainly on tracks. With my budget I'm looking to get anything from 10 up to 13 with a push, colour is not an issue and I'm open minded to both 4t's and 2t's.

So my question is this..... Is there any bikes/years to avoid in that era that people have had bad experience with or have common issues?

Im not going to ride it every weekend religiously and not going to be bouncing off the limiter so reliability is more important to me because if I have to pump more money into it once I've bought it, the wife will kill me.

Thanks in advance for any information shared!

I've ridden two CRF250Rs one was first year FI to the latest 2014.

I think I preferred the earlier one, it was more dialled. They have proved their reliability to me in regards to not having engine failures or problems with the injection, but they don't always start so easy.

I also tried a RMZ250 can't remember the year. I liked that too, probably more than the CRFs.

Havent ridden any 250 smokers, just 125s, my 200 and 144s.

But I reckon one could work for you.

One thing I find annoying about the 250fs is they are harder to steer and follow ruts than what I'm used to. Also the compression braking.

Coming off a 450r though you'd be laughing.

One thing I find annoying about the 250fs is they are harder to steer and follow ruts than what I'm used to. Also the compression braking.

Coming off a 450r though you'd be laughing.

The thing is I'm no pro rider so maybe things that good experienced riders would notice, I probably will not. I just want a bike that is reliable more than performance. I have a few weeks to decide so I'm just trying to get as much information as possible before commit myself.

The YZ 250F has a reputation for Reliability

I've heard that from a few mechanics, bulletproof was how they described Yamaha's. But I have never rode a fuel injected bike yet, which is tempting. It's a shame they didn't switch over earlier as I can't afford a 14 model.

Cheers