Sign in to follow this  

yz80 carb leaking

i have a 98 yz80 carb leaking out of the overflow. I've cleaned the carb twice thoroughly. I've inspected the floats and plunger. I've adjusted the floats 3 times, and inspected them for cracks. they look good. the plunger has spring tension and the needle end is not damaged. as far as i can tell the carb is in good condition. i know I'm leaning towards having to rebuild the carb but i just wanna know if there is anything else i could do before that.

you know the seat the plunger goes into? That has an Oring in it that can crack and make a carb keep leaking when it seems good. Take that seat out, and inspect and replace the oring. If you have a oring kit just match it up with the same size.

you know the seat the plunger goes into? That has an Oring in it that can crack and make a carb keep leaking when it seems good. Take that seat out, and inspect and replace the oring. If you have a oring kit just match it up with the same size.

oh i did not even think about that. I've seen plungers with the rubber at the end of it but mine does not. didn't even think there is a oring inside of it. thanks ill take a look at that

Z

oh i did not even think about that. I've seen plungers with the rubber at the end of it but mine does not. didn't even think there is a oring inside of it. thanks ill take a look at that

Sorry I think I mistyped my other post. The O ring will be on the outside of the brass seat, not the inside. That's where the gas likes to sneak by. Should have a screw holding the brass part in. Remove screw, gently pull up on brass with pliers until it comes out. It won't take much. Don't bend the walls much or the needle won't move smoothly

yeah i tinkered with that a bit, and nothing. the carburetor still leaks. i thought about just plugging the over fill. every time i ride i angle the tube up so it doesn't leak anyway. although cleaning the carb and adjusting the air screw, i now got the bike to start first kick. as before it was 4-15th kick lol. but i see a top end rebuild in the near future  because I'm losing compression so idk if ill bother with the carb anymore until i get that done.