Sign in to follow this  

Are Radiator braces/guards worth it?

If you have them or if you have been riding for many years and havent had a problem, Please comment! Thanks for your time!

My current bike came with a smashed but leak free radiator and a missing front cover. This is my first set to purchase but a few bikes back the PO had them installed. I like em.

i use them and have still gone through a few radiators in the last 4 years. judging by how mangled they are when replacing the rad i'm assuming that they've done some good and probably delayed the rads getting leaks for a bit. along with a stout skid plate and full wrap handguards i consider them to be essential protection.

Absolutely. Don't skimp either, I would recommend something that provides side impact protection as well (Bullet Proof). 

Do you race off road? If having a DNF due to a busted rad would really mess up your day, then by all means get them. If you just trail ride and don't crash a lot, use the money for something else. Radiators can be repaired inexpensively if you do crunch one, and the turn around time is pretty fast.

I have them on the bike I usually race, but I don't have them on the bikes I use for trail riding.

Do you race off road? If having a DNF due to a busted rad would really mess up your day, then by all means get them. If you just trail ride and don't crash a lot, use the money for something else. Radiators can be repaired inexpensively if you do crunch one, and the turn around time is pretty fast.

I have them on the bike I usually race, but I don't have them on the bikes I use for trail riding.

I do agressive trail riding and im new to my rm and its got lots of power. I just want to prepair. Im starting to do the tought singletracks starting this year hopefully. Thanks for the reply!

Agree, most bend their radiators and go out and replace them with after market. Instead, take the radiator to your local radiator shop. Radiators are radiators, nothing fancy about the ones on a bike. Also, if you bend the braces, it's likely you also bent the radiator. I taken some falls where I've had to get them repaired. It's really a no brainer. Having fancy guards might help a little, but I don't think they'll protect your radiators from a big crash. That's the only downfall of having water cooled bikes, if they break and start to leak, you're bogging your rig back to camp or worse, leaving it there to walk back instead. Air cooled bikes don't have this problem, and is why I ride antiquated air cooled bikes, but do also have some water cooled as well. :devil:

Braces are not worth it. 

They imply improved strength, but don't' provide it.

CAGES is what you want, and only MOHARD will do for those who want to always make it back to the truck.

Not all braces , guards or cages are built the same. Unabikers are the best set out there and incorporate all three aspects. If you wreck hard enough to ruin a set of Unabikers you'll probably be in the hospital for a while anyway.

anytime you don't have to push your bike back on a long trail ride is a good day. my devol rad guards have taken some pretty hard hits and I haven't lost a rad yet, so money well spent in my book