Sign in to follow this  

FMF Powerbomb Header with Dr. D Exhaust

Why right?

Quick background. I've had my 2006 CRF450R for quite sometime with the full Dr. D stainless system. The perfomance and durability from this system has been awesome, but there was one thing I never liked about my exhaust and that was the drop down headpipe system that Dr. D has used with this model. I know this was the intended design, but why? Not only does it look funky, but I've burned countless race pants on this system. Why does FMF and PC and all the other exhaust makers have very similar canisters, but completely different and much shorter headpipes, so I did an experiment.

I ordered an FMF Powerbomb header off ebay having no clue whether or not it would fit, much less give me the same performance. I've heard rave reviews about the Powerbomb header and that it actually out performs the Megabomb in some instances. On top of that, it looks bad ass. Yes, I'm that dude that likes the look of my bike as well as function. So I crossed my fingers and waited for the header to arrive. My intention was that if it didn't fit, I would just give in and buy the FMF Powercore slip on and sell my whole Dubach system as one. 

Low and behold, the header arrived this morning so I quickly unpacked and hoped like hell it would fit with the Dr. D muffler. I measured the Powerbomb pipe diameter with the Dubach header and they were a perfect match so now the real test. I mocked it up on the bike and hot damn, that thing fit like a glove!! Slid right into the Dr. D muffler mid-pipe like butter, I couldn't believe it. I bolted everything up and took her for a spin up and down the road and she still has the mean ass bark along with the power to go with it. Mind you, I'll still take it down to get dyno'd so I can see what the real gains are if any, but the first impression, look and feel have been perfect so far.

So if you have the old Dr. D set up on an 06-08 CRF450R and possibly the X with the saggy tits head pipe and you want to upgrade without buying a complete system, it's doable. Will it fit with other mufflers? I have no idea, but given that this went together with ease, I would assume so.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 5.JPGphoto.JPG

I treat my bikes like my women. Keep them fresh and clean and they'll keep you content and happy.

This is actually my tinker garage queen. My bone stock 2012 looks ragged compared to my 2006.

Just a question your old Dr.D header did slip over the muffler right?  I ask because in the pic's it looks like the FMF header slips inside the muffler and just wanted to make sure I have the same Dr.D system. 

Just a question your old Dr.D header did slip over the muffler right?  I ask because in the pic's it looks like the FMF header slips inside the muffler and just wanted to make sure I have the same Dr.D system. 

The old Dr. D header slid inside the muffler mid pipe as does the new FMF header. I don't think I've seen a system where the header slips over the muffer midpipe. By the way, this Dr. D muffler is for sale. Brand new badge and packing. This thing is in near perfect condition. $150.00 shipped.

Edited by Tigolebitties

Header pipe slipping over the outside of the mid-pipe = more leaks at the joint. Header pipe slipping inside the mid-pipe = less leakage.