Sign in to follow this  

I want a 6th gear......!

OK, I have a Honda cr125 with the 5 speed transmission and was wondering if I can convert it into a 6 speed?

And how do I go about it?

You have the most "interesting" topics I have seen so far on here. But in any case if your not getting what you want out of the 125 why not just get a bigger bike Instead of trying to Frankenstein something that will end badly? Maybe a 250 2 stroke if you like the 125 or a 250f if your looking for a smoother approach ?

• Like 1

Get a ktm exc. Then you have electric start and 6 speed

• Like 1

Get a ktm exc. Then you have electric start and 6 speed

I don't like electric start because it's not a "race" purpose built bike.... heavy and all that crap.

Anyways, I was hoping changing my 5 speed into 6 would be as easy as just slapping another gear in the transmission.

.... And add an extra gears worth of weight to that purpose built race bike?

• Like 1

Just to give you an idea a 2008 ktm 450 exc weighs 250 pounds. Then the 2008 crf450r weighs 240 pounds. That is a 10 pound difference between a race bike and purpose built enduro bike.

And yes that is the dry weight

• Like 1

Just to give you an idea a 2008 ktm 450 exc weighs 250 pounds. Then the 2008 crf450r weighs 240 pounds. That is a 10 pound difference between a race bike and purpose built enduro bike.

And yes that is the dry weight

10 pounds can mean the difference from finishing in 1st place........ to finishing in last.  Weight plays a huge role in racing.

Why don't you just enjoy the 5 speed?  Doing a swap to go from one close ratio gear box to another close ratio with one extra gear?!?!?  Might be more advantageous, easier, and cheaper just to change your final drive gearing.

I have wished at times for a six speed but I'm running a WR tranny, so a 6 speed would eliminate the gappy feel that exists between certain gears.....  But 95% of my stuff is 3rd gear or less.....so don't care..

Edited by Fattonz

How long have you owned a dirt bike?????

I don't think hp has! Edited by ridngslikecrack
  • Like 2

oh sorry i was talking to Honda_power

Lol...that's ok.  I think a lot of people around here are beginning to wonder if the OP even owns a bike. 

• Like 6

Yeah, He joined about three weeks ago. Sounds as if he's ready to kick everyone's ass....................ergo the race "talk".

• Like 1

So....they don't put e-start on some of the world's lightest and most competitive race bikes?

http://www.ktm.com/ca-en/enduro/250-xc-usaeu/highlights.html#.U3aNJnZTYUU

http://www.betamotor.com/en/enduro/bikes/rr-enduro-2t-250-300

(sold as an option on the Gas Gas)

http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/enduro/444-ec-250-r-ec-250e-r.html

....and no it's not as easy as just throwin' in an extra gear. Generally the full length of the main and counter shafts are occupied by gears., no room for more gears so a full transmission and/or a case swap may be necessary (not too familiar with Honda's gearboxes).....eg there is a mainshaft 1st gear and a CS 1st gear, a MS 2nd and a CS 2d, and so on and so forth. The 5 speed is usually a narrower case through the transmission than a six speed so no, it's not a "drop in" mod as far as I know....but maybe some of the long time Honda enthusiast will chime in...

Seriously, messing with final drive gearing can REALLY change the feel. I made my wide ratio transmission feel a lot more like a close ratio just by changing sprockets....now it feels more like a moto bike (tranny wise) with an overdrive gear ;)

I would be VERY interested to hear your reasoning as to why you feel you would benefit more from the 6 sp as opposed to your current 5 sp?

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 1

You could buy a YZ125.

They're are light, fast as any CR, and have a 6 speed.

Never owned one, but I rode a friends 07, and that has to be the best small bore stock bike I've ridden.

• Like 1

In addition to another gear pair you would nee a custom shift drum and probably another shift fork.  Not possible without changing a lot of other stuff as well.

I went to grab 6th gear today with no luck but I was already doing 80mph!

I'd mention what is wrong with your questions but you're just here for attention. I noticed that not a single time you've mentioned what bike you have? How bout you tell us all and give pics.

• Like 1

Easy. Take apart your transmission and just JB weld another gear on there. You will need to cut a hole through your engine case to create room for the additional gear, but that is a relatively simple task. Only problem is it will add 17.948 ounces of weight to the bike. Since you have owned a bike for three weeks and are already a world champion, the extra 17.948 ounces of weight will throw you off. Remember, weight can mean the difference between last place and second to last. 

• Like 8