Sign in to follow this  

Is my idle hanging?

I just switched back to my blue needle from jdjetting (richer) when I thought it was running lean I noticed sometimes my bike does this when I rev it and let go of the throttle. Maybe running rich on the needle a bit?:

• Like 1

I just switched back to my blue needle from jdjetting (richer) when I thought it was running lean I noticed sometimes my bike does this when I rev it and let go of the throttle. Maybe running rich on the needle a bit?:

Hanging idle is a symptom of a LEAN pilot circuit. Nothing to do with the needle. When you chop (fully close) the throttle the carb goes immediately onto the pilot circuit..... The airscrew is your pilot circuit's fine tuning... try turning it in (clockwise) a 1/4 turn at a time to richen the mix and see if it makes a difference..

Think about it, with the throttle fully closed the slide is seated and the needle fully extends into the main jet shutting off the main jet/needle circuit... At this point the throttle cutaway and airscrew passage are the only places through which air can flow, and the pilot jet is the only passage through which fuel can be "educted" from the bowl...

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 3

I'll try it

After each 1/4 turn step back and give the engine a moment to respond.  Be patient when making adjustments because the response usually isn't instantaneous ;)

Ur needle is likely one clip too lean, also richen ur air screw 1/2 turn and pilot jet by one setting.

My KTM had same symptoms, wut I prescribed for ya here fixed it perfectly

I just went richer on the needle. I went blue 3rd clip. But I believe it was the air screw cause it didn't do it yesterday. (Temp change)

Update : it was actually too rich cuz it is pouring spooge out were the exhaust connects at. I went back to red needle 3rd clip and it seems like it stopped.