Sign in to follow this  

Fans needed for EXC 350?

MISTAKE IN TITLE: Bike is actually 350 XCF (sorry, I don't own a KTM or know much about their models!)

My brother has a 2012 KTM XCF 350.  He says he needs to buy fans to go over the radiator to keep the bike from overheating... as he's been told from a couple people.  I find it hard to believe how a trail bike would come with inadequate means to cool the motor.  Is this true?  If so, are fans the only way to resolve the issue?

EDIT:

Seems I've found my answer here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/969108-350-cooling-system-and-overheating-question/

Edited by ninjai

I installed a fan on my 14 350 exc. Every other model comes with the fan installed. In my opinion it's just a good idea and good insurance. The KTM hard parts version comes with the incorrect harness so be aware that you will need a different harness. Trail tech has come up with a good solution that a lot of people are using as well.

I wouldnt go as far a calling the XCF a trail bike. Its the same thing as the SX but with a bigger tank. Its meant more as a Cross country harescramble type race bike not the slow ride stop chat with your buddies or wait for the slower riders type bike. XCF-W and EXC's are for that.

I find it hard to believe how a trail bike would come with inadequate means to cool the motor.  Is this true?  If so, are fans the only way to resolve the issue?

EDIT:

Seems I've found my answer here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/969108-350-cooling-system-and-overheating-question/

• Like 1

I have a 2014 EXC 350 and put the fan on it (just add 6” of 14ga wire to the existing harness) but have yet to get it hot enough to turn on. I ride with 2 buddies who have XC-f 350’s and I don’t recall any of us having over heat issues. We ride single track mountains here in the pacific northwest and we ride fast just about everywhere we go. We have yet to see an 80* day and are always moving at a fairly brisk pace so that may be the reason. The XC-f may have a bit more power over all but it counts as nothing to those who can ride unless you’re on a track.  Just say'n

I have a 2014 EXC 350 and put the fan on it (just add 6” of 14ga wire to the existing harness) but have yet to get it hot enough to turn on. I ride with 2 buddies who have XC-f 350’s and I don’t recall any of us having over heat issues. We ride single track mountains here in the pacific northwest and we ride fast just about everywhere we go. We have yet to see an 80* day and are always moving at a fairly brisk pace so that may be the reason. The XC-f may have a bit more power over all but it counts as nothing to those who can ride unless you’re on a track. Just say'n

Down here in California on the tight single track the fan will run quiet a bit. The thermo switch that ces with the ktm fan kit is junk and barely lasted the summer. I just installed a bypass switch on my bike to manually trigger the fan and it also turns my headlight off to help with the battery keeping up with the fans draw.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400800190.794887.jpg

It certainly wouldn't hurt to install a fan kit if you ride tight, slow trails in the heat and don't have a coolant catch tank installed. If you have the tank, you might not need it. I just installed the KTM kit on a friend's 2014 350 exc and the harness from the thermostat to the fan to the power plug on the bike is now the wrong one since they moved the power connector from under the tank to under the seat in airbox for 2014. However, I was able to make it work quite easily with a little modifying. I took the stock wire and cut it down the sheath so the fuse wires would stretch out to max and make it to the two separate connection points now. Then I added two little extension to hook it to the thermostat since those wires will never be long enough. About a six-inch wire extension was all that was needed and I just used the same type press on connectors that are on it. Hopefully, they have a new wiring harness in the kits for the 2014s and up, but we just got the fan kit about a month ago and it was still the old harness. Supposedly, the wire from the 2014 KTM 500exc, but that's 60 more bucks! CHeeers  

KTM just installed a fan as warranty on my 2014 xcf 350. They ackknowledged those bikes have overheating problems. I suggest everyone force them to do the same thing.