Sign in to follow this  

Transitioning from a dirt bike to a street bike

How hard is it transitioning from a dirt bike to a street bike?  I plan to get a sport bike in the future and was wondering how big, if any, the changes are.

Of course there will be changes. But you should have the basics from riding a dirtbike like using your clutch and the brakes. The other changes will come naturally. just dont ride over your head when you start out.

• Like 1

I dont want to be a sour commenter bht go and google it.. i did. The idea sounds nice but there is alot of legal aspects/ issues regarding transformation. Just make sure to read/ work trough it. Hope it helps

• Like 1

I've wondered this myself. But the thought of being so open on the road with big heavy cars and trucks, freaks me out haha

• Like 3

I did just the opposite i got my motorcycle license the same day as my car license at 16 dirt is a lot more intense . Riding on the road is fun but after a bad accident myself and several family members and friends getting killed riding the streets i decided to take up trail riding , better scenery anyways :) 

• Like 3

I did just the opposite i got my motorcycle license the same day as my car license at 16 dirt is a lot more intense . Riding on the road is fun but after a bad accident myself and several family members and friends getting killed riding the streets i decided to take up trail riding , better scenery anyways :)

Yeah..... it's the getting killed part that kinda worries me when it comes to riding in the streets.  I suppose it's a whole different mindset when going from dirt to the road, I'd probably be too paranoid to enjoy myself..... but I'm sure you get used to it.

The thing is, I want to get a sport bike so I can ride out in the public roads and impress the ladies.

• Like 2

For me it's awkward due to body positioning and control differences. If I ride both in the same day when I get on my dirt scoot I feel very odd at first

Yeah..... it's the getting killed part that kinda worries me when it comes to riding in the streets.  I suppose it's a whole different mindset when going from dirt to the road, I'd probably be too paranoid to enjoy myself..... but I'm sure you get used to it.

The thing is, I want to get a sport bike so I can ride out in the public roads and impress the ladies.

you got to be hott in order to impress the ladies...the bike does not increase your looks...just saying :p 

• Like 2

I'd like going on joy rides...not ones that consisted of scary traffic, city stuff, or fast highways...just go on a cruise haha but i want a crotch rocket and a chopper...maybe some day.

• Like 1

I'd like going on joy rides...not ones that consisted of scary traffic, city stuff, or fast highways...just go on a cruise haha but i want a crotch rocket and a chopper...maybe some day.

Hey hey hey...... stick to the subject.  I'm talking motorcycles here, not sex toys!  :naughty::p

• Like 1

Hey hey hey...... stick to the subject.  I'm talking motorcycles here, not sex toys!  :naughty::p

you mentioned "picking up ladies" first...so i was just adding. :D

• Like 1

if you want to be safe dont get a crotch rocket.  you cant go slow on those things.  you get on say to yourself your gonna go slow and next thing you know your doing a 120+

• Like 4

you mentioned "picking up ladies" first...so i was just adding. :D

Hey mL26..... if you decide to get a sportbike one day, can I sit in the back while we go riding?  That's hott!!!!!  :)

Hey mL26..... if you decide to get a sportbike one day, can I sit in the back while we go riding? That's hott!!!!! :)

yeh, I'll try and balance ya. See how well that works out!

First thing I noticed is the steering is almost backwards. Wanna turn left at speed, pull back slightly on the right grip. Way back in the day, a friend let me ride his 600 rocket. I was used to riding a dirt bike. I couldn't corner on the 600. Almost blew it in the first 10 attempts to make a turn. It just wouldn't turn cause I didn't know how.

Also, street bikes feel W I D E compared to a dirt bike. I ride my street bike a lot more than my rm. When I sit on my rm, it feels like I'm sitting on the edge of a giant bouncy credit card.

I got my vmax AFTER I got my rm250. Thought my rm felt pretty quick. Zero to sixty in 3 seconds makes my rm feel like a pig.

The comments about traffic are absolutely correct. Imagine being on your dirtbike at a track with nothing but quads. Lots of quads. All in a hurry, fender to fender, bumper to bumper, 1/3 don't know you are there, 1/3 on their cell phones talking or texting and could care less if you are there, and the last 1/3 are kinda paying attention. It's not always like that, but you will find yourself in a situation like that from time to time if you live in a populated area.

Edited by Jethrobolas
  • Like 2

Street bikes are boring, that is for sure! So what ends up happening, especially with a crotch rocket....you end up going faster, cornering harder....etc....etc....etc...... Ask me how I know... And no matter how hard you tell yourself to slow down, it doesn't work.

It's so easy.  The worst thing is riding your street bike a bunch and then going back to your dirt bike.  I did 40k miles on a 2005 Yamaha R1 in less than two years.  I loved that thing and it was such an easy transition from the dirt.  But I used to go months on end without touching my dirt bike then I would hit the trail and all of the slipping and sliding made me nervous because that is a bad thing on your street bike.  It took about thirty minutes to get back into it, though.  So it wasn't that bad.  It's crazy that under certain conditions your 250cc dirt bike actually accelerates harder than your 180hp 1000cc street bike but it only does it for fractions of a second where that bike can continue to do it all of the way through a gear.  Just remember when riding street bikes is they accelerate faster than they decelerate so always keep that in mind headed into ANY SITUATION!

Edited by 1987CR250R

If you want an easy transition you could always go with a dual sport or a supermoto like the WR250X or the DRZ400SM. It's certainly a different type of riding. Much less intense as far as controlling yourself and your ride (at least at legal speeds), and far more intense as far as worrying about everything and everyone else. I enjoy both very much and I enjoy going fast as much as I enjoy going slow on the street, it's really all about your mindset. When I have to go slow I take in the scenery, the sound of the bike, the smell and feel of the air, I have a chance at uninterrupted inner monologue and thought not drowned out by a radio, or someone else. When I get to go fast I get the thrill of acceleration, high speed cornering, powerful engine, etc.

Start off with something you know you'll be comfortable on so you're not taking tons of effort learning both the bike and the way to ride on the road and you'll be fine. The most important thing is not to pretend you are invisible to others, but to know you are. And lastly, have fun. After all, that's what it's all about.

• Like 1