2013 kx250f jumped time

Bike ran fine stopped and shut it off it hasn't started since.25 hrs on bike. Jumped time and continues to jump each time reset. Had compression until took out cams to reset timing.now there is zero compression. Tensioner checks out good, cam chain guide seems good, piston is operating correctly, cam gears are not spun. Cam chain seems good though could be stretched with the # hours on bike but i wouldn't think that would cause time to jump so far on first kick.I am completely stumped. Any advice would be appreciated thx

That's a 2013 kx250f

Bike ran fine stopped and shut it off it hasn't started since.25 hrs on bike. Jumped time and continues to jump each time reset. Had compression until took out cams to reset timing.now there is zero compression. Tensioner checks out good, cam chain guide seems good, piston is operating correctly, cam gears are not spun. Cam chain seems good though could be stretched with the # hours on bike but i wouldn't think that would cause time to jump so far on first kick.I am completely stumped. Any advice would be appreciated thx

That's a 2013 kx250f

You have some issue in there causing it to jump time

or your not setting it correctly.

Or there is something wrong with your auto tensioner

25 hours isn't too many hours to justify timing chain to do that. Tensioner is bad, but have you opened stator case and looked behind flywheel? Wonder how gear looks there

Not sure if the KX can do it but ive seen a CRF250 timing chain jump off the bottom gear so it feels like everything is on timing when you turn the motor slowly but as soon as you kick the chain slips past the gear and the timing is again out.  

The auto tensioner seems good, when you push against it it doesn't go back in like a worn one would. Have not checked gear on crank yet as I need a fly wheel puller for a kx. I guess that's my next step. What do you think of it losing all compression

The auto tensioner seems good, when you push against it it doesn't go back in like a worn one would. Have not checked gear on crank yet as I need a fly wheel puller for a kx. I guess that's my next step. What do you think of it losing all compression

keep me posted once you look at the crank gear, I'm curious as this is puzzling

My 2014 came with a 30 day warranty. Even if he bought this '13 as a leftover, if it has 25 hours on it, I doubt that it's in the 30 day warranty period.. If it is, my mistake, and I am jealous of your large amount of free time to ride.

As for the OP, I agree with others.. It's likely the tensioner, also possibly the bottom gear. I just don't see that cam chain being toasted after 25 hours. I've been wrong before though, plenty. Let us know if you figure out the issue.

My 2014 came with a 30 day warranty. Even if he bought this '13 as a leftover, if it has 25 hours on it, I doubt that it's in the 30 day warranty period.. If it is, my mistake, and I am jealous of your large amount of free time to ride.

As for the OP, I agree with others.. It's likely the tensioner, also possibly the bottom gear. I just don't see that cam chain being toasted after 25 hours. I've been wrong before though, plenty. Let us know if you figure out the issue.

I bought the extended warranty so even if my bike got &%$#@!ed up now I'd take it back n get a new one lol

Braaaaap ?

I know them personally and I can guarantee if my bike was &%$#@!ed up like that and it wasn't something simple they would give me a new one

Braaaaap ?

Will never happen, but if it helps you sleep then great

• Like 1

25 hours would not stretch a timing chain.  Putting a tensioner back in without a full reset would kill the chain, though.  If you have no compression, the most likely scenario in what you describe is a valve(s) hit the piston during one of the out of time issues.  

Even a worn tensioner will not push in unless the release is pressed.  It is a ratcheting system that needs to be reset manually . . .  while the spring is out . . . every single time you take it out.  I suppose the spring in the tensioner could wear out someday, but it isn't likely.

Check back if you still have questions.  

• 1 month later...