Excel rim hub issue.. or not

hey guys so I replaced my rear tire and I noticed that on my rear wheel hub there were some minor small cracks coming from the hole where the spokes go into.. its only on the inside of the hub the exterior of the hub has no cracks whatsoever . do I need to replace my hub ASAP? Or is this okay no big deal ?

1400281984714.jpg

Ps the spokes are stainless steel and very thick they have a x on the end..

1400282130372.jpg

1400282158801.jpg

1400282178369.jpg

No tellin how much use you MIGHT could get out of it BUT I wouldn't chance that man. They don't mess up often... I'd replace it ASAP. That rear rim collapses and you sir will have a bad day. You got lucky spotting that as soon as you did. That's my opinion.

Edited by Diggla117
  • Like 1

No tellin how much use you MIGHT could get out of it BUT I wouldn't chance that man. They don't mess up often... I'd replace it ASAP. That rear rim collapses and you sir will have a bad day. You got lucky spotting that as soon as you did. That's my opinion.

This ^^

Not worth a possible injury to yourself. Plus you could end up detroying parts other then the wheel.

You laced your wheel with the wrong spoke pattern. With the wheel laced that way, your spokes should be sticking out of the nipples quite a bit...

You did a "cross 1" and you need a "cross 2", i.e. each spoke crosses 2 other spokes, not just the 1 like in your wheel. So the spoke angles are wrong, and they tweak the hub...

I didn't lilace the wheels ... the bike came that way ..

if I correct it will it save the hub? .. these folks are gigantic and they are stainless steel as well

When you changed the tire were the spokes sticking out of the nipples quite a bit? If not, they were trimmed shorter so they wouldn't stick out, so those shortened spokes cannot be used with the proper lacing pattern now as they'll be too short. If you've been riding on the hub a while you could be ok. But if it were me, I wouldn't ride it at all. Cracks aren't good, man... that's your life you're talkin' 'bout.

I don't believe that they were sticking out really far when I pulled the tire off ...

I looked at a couple of my friends Excel and they look like the same pattern that mine has ....

I am really sorry, you do have the spoke pattern right! I was thinking the front wheel. So sorry about that! Old age sux. I helped a guy on here a while back with the front, I got confused...

So... Now I don't know why your hub is cracking like that, then, unless the spokes are too big for the hub or maybe they were over-tightened and/or over-stressed, cracking the hub holes.

Edited by Eddie8v

I am really sorry, you do have the spoke pattern right! I was thinking the front wheel. So sorry about that! Old age sux. I helped a guy on here a while back with the front, I got confused...

So... Now I don't know why your hub is cracking like that, then, unless the spokes are too big for the hub or maybe they were over-tightened and/or over-stressed, cracking the hub holes.

everyone says that they are very big spokes there stainless steel and they are very tight ...

my buddies who ride seriously and are much more experience than I ... say they don't think it's going to cause an issue . I'm thinking maybe the scratch have been there for a long time and I've just noticed it.. however I still will invest in a new wheel and use this as a reserve or a paddle tires