Sign in to follow this  

Dirt Bike Running EXTREMELY RICH!

Hi I have a tricky problem on a old dirt bike. Its a 1978 KM 100, it is an old oil injected 2 stroke :facepalm: .If I start the bike cold it idles fine, as soon as i put it in gear and drive it leaves a HUGE cloud of smoke trailing behind me. It eventually will bog down in a minute or two and almost die until I play with the throttle, it may also backfire and die to. I adjusted the oil to mix ratio on the dirt bike so its getting the right amount, the bike has leaked transmission oil from day one and it leaks more then it first did now, the compression feels fine, its not really hard to kick over so that means oil isn't getting passed my crank seal so i think :confused: . There is alot of oil coming out of my exhaust (enough to keep my chain lubed) and the head of the pipe smokes alot to. After adjusting the oil ratio it ran a little better it wasnt as boggy.

One side note is that a bolt broke on the oil pump before,but i replaced it with a new one. It was on the line that led from the oil tank to the pump. It was specialized bolt because it was hollow on the inside and a nozzel on the end, for oil to go into the nozzle and through the inside of the bolt into the pump. Twice the oil from the tank filled my engine full of oil when it was sitting for a week or so, the compression was to much and it felt like it was seized so I took out the spark plug kick started it until the oil was gone.

I dont know why so much oil is going through my pump and into my engine without it even running, or am i just burning alot of tranny oil

You have a 27 year old motor. You might be expecting too much out of it.

Unless your rebuild the top end, replace the crank seals, and service the carb, there is no way to know exactly what to do to solve your problem.

It could be a dozen things.

But I would expect it's just in need of a complete re build.

Ya i know i was trying to get it back up and running for my little brother, im not even sure if i will be able to order a rebuild kit for something like this anymore