Sign in to follow this  

125 2T which is the best?

Between the big brands' 125 2T lineup, which company produces the fastest, most reliable, powerful, and best handling 125? Not new ones of course, I'm talking like from years before 2006. Between the rm125, 125sx , cr125, yz125 , and the kx125 which do u guys favor? Looking to buy one based on all these things

Out of your choices I would go with the YZ, great motor, superb suspension, easy to work on and part's galore. 

• Like 2

Yz 05 and up. Easy to work on and you can get the restyling kit which will give it 250f looks. at the end of the day though, they're all good. It all comes down to personal preference

• Like 1

Get the ktm, best 125 in my opinion and handles better

I also feel lik this is the case. I own a ktm 200 and I love it. I like ktm engineering
  • Like 2

I bought a 2001 Yz125 for 1000 on craigslist. Needed a little work (seals, bearings, and the like), but damn the bike rips. Super fun, light, cheap, and easy to work on. Can't ask for much more from an entry into the sport.

So long as it's been somewhat cared for you can't go wrong with any of those 125's ;)

Go for whichever one comes up in your area in good condition for the right price....

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 3

Hondas are reliable and third gen frames are amazing,

yzs have power everywhere, and great suspension

rms turn on a dime

Idk what kxs are like it what attributes people think about them

And ktms strip bolts and have weird suspension :p. Im kidding, i know nothing about ktms

• Like 1

You are going to get a million different answers. Answers to questions like this are 99% opinion and 1% fact. Sure they all have their good spots and bad spots but at the end of the day they're all pretty close to the same, with the exception of a few complete turd bikes produced along the way. My opinion is that KTM is the best, because I am loyal to my preferred brand. I did have an 04 125 SX at one point and I loved it. It was very reliable and handled good. However, 03 and older KTM's are not near as good.

• Like 1

Is this supposed to be a trick question?  In case you're being serious and not actually joking around................. Honda is #1.  Even for those clueless about anything knows Honda is the best. 

From lawnmowers (think GX motors which are copied by hundreds of companies and used widely in karting) all the way to the pinnacle of motorsports in MotoGP and Formula 1.

Oh, and the great Honda cr125 motors are the standard in competition moto class karting.   

Edited by Honda_Power
  • Like 1

Is this supposed to be a trick question?  In case you're being serious and not actually joking around................. Honda is #1.  Even for those clueless about anything knows Honda is the best. 

From lawnmowers (think GX motors which are copied by hundreds of companies and used widely in karting) all the way to the pinnacle of motorsports in MotoGP and Formula 1.

Oh, and the great Honda cr125 motors are the standard in competition moto class karting.   

Thats why they still make them.

You're good fun.

• Like 5

Is this supposed to be a trick question? In case you're being serious and not actually joking around................. Honda is #1. Even for those clueless about anything knows Honda is the best.

You're just a troll, you know nothing but yet think you're the smartest "guy" on the forum.

You're probably some 12 YO kid that thinks his beat up cr80 is the best bike ever.

• Like 2

Between the big brands' 125 2T lineup, which company produces the fastest, most reliable, powerful, and best handling 125? Not new ones of course, I'm talking like from years before 2006. Between the rm125, 125sx , cr125, yz125 , and the kx125 which do u guys favor? Looking to buy one based on all these things

06 yz hands down not even a question. If buying new Ktm but used yz all DAY
  • Like 1

Go to your room King Troll.  Seriously, you need to put your big boy pants on and I've seen nine year olds act more mature than you. You're NO HELP to anyone.

Edited by Alan48
  • Like 2

Speaking as someone who has owned 3 of the big 5 (Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha) and having significant seat time on the other 2, I can say with experience that you can't go wrong with any of them.  You should buy on price and condition, and not even pay attention to the brand.  I would also look for a bike that is totally stock, although that is getting hard to find these days (but in the last year I have purchased two unmolested YZ 125s -- it just takes patience).  Again, no brand preference here, but a few quirks you might want to be aware of:

1. The lack of a 6th gear on late model Honda CR125s can be a problem if you have to connect trails with fire roads or other open riding.  That's why I sold mine.  Otherwise, it was a great bike.

2. Many will make a big deal about the 03 to 04 change in the RM engine (bore and stroke change), with a preference for the 04 and later.  I found that difference to be of little consequence for real riding, so don't worry about that too much if you are looking at RMs.  RMs probably have the worst build quality (e.g., chain adjuster marks are not even close, clutch basket made of cheese), BUT, I owned my last RM 125 for 7 years with no major problems, and I would most definitely buy another clean example. 

3. The YZ is a solid bike with a nice mid-range (for a 125).  Probably because of the throttle response, it feels faster than other 125s (comparing stock to stock), but informal drag racing and lap times show that it's not.  I have no complaints about the two YZs I have (05 and 06)--fun and reliable bikes.  

4. My friend's KX 125 (03) was a blast to ride and was stone reliable.  Another solid bike, but good luck finding an unmolested KX these days.

5. Linkage bearings are a problem on all the Japanese bikes.  Check for free play carefully before you buy, and probably plan on replacing all the chassis bearings.

6. I have ridden KTM 125s, but not owned one.  I want an older one with PDS, but they are hard to find.  I personally find KTM build quality and parts somewhat better than the Japanese brands (I own a 250 ktm), but it's not a huge deal.  The easy access airbox and lack of a linkage(PDS bikes) are also real pluses for me, as I like easy maintenance!

Good luck finding your bike. I think 125s are by far the best value and most fun bikes you can have.  It's a shame that so many companies have given up on them.

• Like 3

This honda_power needs to go. I have seen him troll on several recent threads!!!! Thanks everyone for the help I like getting all these opinions. I thin I'm going to narrow it down to the rm, yz, and sx.

• Like 4

Is this supposed to be a trick question? In case you're being serious and not actually joking around................. Honda is #1. Even for those clueless about anything knows Honda is the best.

What color powerband are you runnin? LOL
  • Like 2

i bought a mint 04 rm125 for 1500. best decision ever, ended up selling my 11' 250sxf because the suzuki actually handles better. i rode an 06 rm125 too, and even though it felt a little different i dont think its much better, you could get used to either one super easy.

Edited by Nickster914
  • Like 1