'90 DR 350 sprocket & chain sizes

Is yours a DR350S? If so, stock gear for 1990 - 1993 is 14 front / 43 rear. That's a 3.07 ratio. If the engine is unmodified, it can still pull a 15 tooth front sprocket, leaving the rear at 43. That's with a stock length 108 link chain, which will still fit. The new ratio is 2.866, so it's less buzzy at 55-60 mph. The only temporary mod is that you'll need to run this setup without the front sprocket's case guard. I went to Sears hardware and bought a couple of nylon standoffs to replace the guard's thickness, and the front sprocket cover fits just right that way.

If instead, you have a DR350 dirt model (no S), you start with a 14 on front and a 47 on the rear. This setup is for the trail and gets very buzzy on the street. Be careful ordering parts! The non S (dirt model) has no cush drive and the rear sprocket mounting is completely different.

I bought the bike used with a 15-47 set. Its awesome off road, but a little too high rpm for me at hwy speed. I bought  16 front & 49 & 53 rear & have been seeing better hwy rpms with the 16-49 combo but the 53 hits the chain guard & the chain isnt long enough to accomidate the 16-53. Ive got a street tire set & extra dirt tire set & plan to use the 15-47 for dirt setup, & 16-49 or 53 preferably for street. Its not a cush drive, nor does it have electric start, but previuos owner titled it (badly....lots of trips to the dmv to get it right) & added the street equiptment. Will aftermarket chain guards allow me to adjust the location forward so I can use the 53 rear?

With the sprockets you already own (if you can fit the 16 on the front) your "best" street ratio is 16 and 47. That's 2.9375 which is a little more hi-way than even the stock dual sport setup of 14/43, or 3.07. Don't "add" teeth to the rear.... That moves you away from your goal. Also lets you keep the stock chain guard.

• 4 weeks later...

Depends.... What sprocket combination are you running now, and, what part of the performance do you want to improve? As you reduce the number of teeth on the front ( or increase the back sprocket size) the bike will launch better, climb better, and be really buzzy at highway speeds. Mileage will drop as the engine speed increases to hold the same MPH.

At the other extreme, a larger countershaft sprocket and/or smaller rear sprocket reduces engine speeds, improves mileage, and takes the tingling out of your handlebars. But, acceleration will be sluggish. When I run my 15/43 combo on my stock 1992 DR350s I have to downshift to 5th to pull long overpasses into a headwind. 14/43 was stock on my '92. Even the one tooth difference on the countershaft sprocket is noticable.

Depends.... What sprocket combination are you running now, and, what part of the performance do you want to improve? As you reduce the number of teeth on the front ( or increase the back sprocket size) the bike will launch better, climb better, and be really buzzy at highway speeds. Mileage will drop as the engine speed increases to hold the same MPH.

At the other extreme, a larger countershaft sprocket and/or smaller rear sprocket reduces engine speeds, improves mileage, and takes the tingling out of your handlebars. But, acceleration will be sluggish. When I run my 15/43 combo on my stock 1992 DR350s I have to downshift to 5th to pull long overpasses into a headwind. 14/43 was stock on my '92. Even the one tooth difference on the countershaft sprocket is noticable.

I'm running a 14 or 15 front and a 52 rear I like the power for dirt and hills but I miss the speed I'd like to be able to do 75-80 if that's possible I'm 150 and have a 99dr350se exhaust in the way so that should add the power I'd miss and still ge good highway gears since most my riding is on the road to commute

• 3 weeks later...