Sign in to follow this  

New To The Game - Is It Too Late For Me?

I've recently gained an intrest in motocross and dirt bikes/ motorcycles alike. However, I am 20 years old and have never riden a dirt bike in my life. Is it too late for me to learn the skills necessary to compete in motocross events. If so.. I am about 5'9" and 140 pounds. What would be a good bike for me to start out on? I seem lame, I know. But. I'm willing to put forth the effort if it's still achievable

You can absolutely have some fun racing local events.  Get yourself a bike and just ride at the track till you fell comfortable jumping all the jumps.  Once your can keep a decent pace at the track then go to a race and race the beginner, d, novice or whatever your local organization calls the slow class and have some fun.  If you are talking about being a pro racer then yes it is way too late for you.  It's a wonderful sport though and you will have tons of fun.  Find a decent 125 or 250f and have fun.

• Like 1

My uncle rode bikes all his life, never off road till he was 27, he became a double A racer within a few years, and started winning a lot of races, do people know him? no, locally yes.

It's never to late to start anything. I'd say get a 250f and have some fun on that. good luck

It's too late to be a pro. But not too late to be a local star....

You're never too old to do anything FYI and 20 years old aint shit!!! LOL.

• Like 1

I'm 58 and still trying,words getting around the AMA boys are getting worried!

• Like 5

To late for having fun?

I don't understand.

What if I asked that at 14 about sex? Would have missed out on a lot of fun.

Mike

20??

bro you are way too damn old to do anything but sit on your rocking chair beating your dick that won't get hard while watching reruns of the golden girls till you die in your sleep.

good luck

Are u kidding? I would love to be 20 again. I started in my late 30s only trail riding and open desert. Then tried motocross at age 42 and have not looked back ever since! I'm 49 now and even with all the aches and pains we all get it's all worth it for a good day at the track riding.

As for a good bike for you, I would look at a Honda CRF 230f OR any other bike in that class pick your color. It's a 4 stroke trail bike, very easy smooth power to handle, and will fit you well at ur weight and height. It's easy to learn to clutch and shift. And enough bike for you to grow into while you learn the basics and to learn to ride. OR if your more adventures look at a 250 trail bike like a CRF 250x or similar bike in the 250 trail bike class, but don't get the race version in any 250, it may get you hurt for ur first bike. In the end eventually you WILL end up buying more than one bike IF you stay in it so don't get hung up on only one bike. Oh and by used, new bikes are way to expensive compared to the great deals for dirt bikes. People are always selling bikes with very little use for really good prices.

You can jump start your the learning curve by looking into riding courses in your area. It's a real good introduction to it all and you will get a lot out of it vs going it on your own and having to figure it all out. It's also a great way to ride and try a few different bikes BEFORE you buy yours. Then u really know what you wand and to look for.

Good luck man

Started at 11

Stopped at 23

Stated again at 41

Stopped at 49

Started again at 51

Still riding at 58

...on bike number 37....

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick
  • Like 1