Sign in to follow this  

ssr 125 kick start issues

I got a ssr 125 that I got in trade the problem is when you kick the kick start fast it wont turn the engine over if you do it by hand slowly it will I actually got it to start the other day by hand but it take a long time because you have to torn it over so slow what could make it do this

You have a couple options, bump start it and don't open anything up and enjoy it as is. Your other option is to open the side cover and look at the kick starter shaft and see if it's stripped. Idk how good the parts support is for "SSR" but if I were you, I'd just bump start it.

When I hold the clutch in it wont work either do you think it might be something to do with the clutch

Yeah, your clutch plates are sticking. Check the clutch cable first, may just be loose

No worries, that's what this site is for :)

I checked the clutch plates and all seems to be fine not sticking worn or burnt but I noticed that with the clutch case off it works when I put it back on it wont lol lost ive gone over everthing multiple times

Something in the clutch case is not letting the clutch disengage, it's a tough one. What you should try to do is put the bike in gear and roll it so that the rear wheel is moving and the motor is cranking. Once you get it started, try using the clutch.

Did anything work out for you?

I was having the same issue. If you adust that screw on the right side under the engine cover you would either have a clutch or a kick starter. Turns out nothing was wrong you just have to start those bikes in neutral without holding the clutch in

yup, most dirt bikes will not start in gear, or are really hard to start in gear..... I always use neutral and never even try to start any bike I ride while in gear.

Your kick starting gear is stripped, and needs replacing, is what it sounds like you are describing.  Replace it or bump start it, which is of no use if  your in a canyon.. ha ha

good luck parking on hillsides every where you go..  grin

Gary