Sign in to follow this  

1986 xr200r, misses and smokes

I bought a 1986 honda xr200r dirtbike a few weeks ago, it had been sitting for 2 years, so the guy said. We got home and tore apart the carb and cleaned it out. changed the gas and got it to start. I rode it and it idles great but when you give it gas is spudders and smokes really bad, it produces a lot of white thick smoke, when reved it is almost blackish color. The work i have done so far is i have changed all of the gaskests and o-rings in the top end. Put a carb rebuild kit in and the problem persists. Timing light flashes inconsistantly and it seems to have a weak spark. Did olms check on stator and coil and they checked out good. But the pulse generator has a low olms reading compared to what the book says. Ive heard the pulse generator either works or it doesnt work, is this true? And do you have any suggestions on what might the issue be? Thanks for the help.

First thing to check is the compression. It might have enough to start but it could have poor rings. What colour is the plug and what type of plug are you using. Plug spark is always low on these bikes for some reason. Have you cleaned and reoiled the air filter? Also....did you get oil spitting out of the timing hole when you checked it?

Black smoke indicates fuel related and white indicates moisture. Check the pilot jet air fuel setting. Should be 1-1/8 out from lightly seated.  

Also check for air leaks on the intake boot from the carb to the head. They get cracked. 

yes, we did get oil spitting out of the timing hole, also it has a stock plug and we cleaned and oiled the air filter.

what does the oil spitting out mean?

Sounds a bit like it may be a oil burner, with a carb problem as well causing a rich condition.................and may have a partially fouled plug?  Just a wild guess.............. :excuseme:   Is the plug all oily......?  What does the carb have in it for jets (size), and what is the float level set at?

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al