Sign in to follow this  

Jet kit

What is the difference between the jd jet kit and the dynojet kit besides the price

What is the difference between the jd jet kit and the dynojet kit besides the price

You can fine tune a JD jet kit better over a more varied range of riding conditions and performance mods...., it comes with two needles...

The JD jet kit has allen head float bowl screw and a 25 pilot jet which the DJ kit does not. Also I have heard that the taper on the needle is better with the JD kit (read: better performance).

What is the other needle for I ride as dual sport but want pipe and cams later

One of my mates has a JD kit on his drz 400sm and it performs the same as my Dynojet kit on my drz 400sm, if your buying the Dynojet kit make sure you use the stage 2 upgrade. The dynojet kit does not come with a pilot jet because its not needed. I followed all of the precise instructions when fitting the Dynojet kit to my and it was spot on even with the extended fuel screw. But my mate had trouble with the JD kit, he had to pull the carb out again to change to a different clip on the needle. But both of these companys are reputable and these kits are tested for max performance as you can see from the master 3x3 post, any questions on tuning ask craigo 485sm cause he is the guru. Also the Dynojet kit is a different setup than the Jd but they perform the same from my opinion. You dont get a real noticable power gain from the jet kit, exhaust, k&n filter and 3x3 mod just makes the throttle more responsive and smoother. If you want power you will have to buy the fcr39mx kit. I have ridden an sm with the fcr 39mx carb and you could really feel the difference, the wheel easily comes up in second. I just couldn't justify the cost of the fcr 39mx kit plus the extra fuel you go through.

Edited by berjo
  • Like 1

What is the other needle for I ride as dual sport but want pipe and cams later

It comes with a high temperature/high altitude needle along with a low temperature/low altitude needle.

I have hot cams in my bike and they made not alot of difference. Honoustly and truthfully a Drz is a great, reliable, fun bike for beginners and great for an experienced rider in twistys but if you think your gonna get heaps more power from mods like 3x3 mod, k&n filter, exhaust and jet kit or changing to an fcr, changing sprockets and motor internals your not. You just compramise the life of your engine, save your money and buy an injected registered Wr450 and convert it to a sm or an Aprillia SVX550.

I have hot cams in my bike and they made not alot of difference. Honoustly and truthfully a Drz is a great, reliable, fun bike for beginners and great for an experienced rider in twistys but if you think your gonna get heaps more power from mods like 3x3 mod, k&n filter, exhaust and jet kit or changing to an fcr, changing sprockets and motor internals your not. You just compramise the life of your engine, save your money and buy an injected registered Wr450 and convert it to a sm or an Aprillia SVX550.

A well put together/well maintained big bore/stroker motor have been proven to be pretty damn reliable.

Yeah, im not saying that its not reliable as standard with no mods, but with any mod on a standard engine you are pushing the motor beyond the performance capabilities that it should be, thus you shorten the life of your engine. But unless your motor had shit itself and you had no choice to rebuild it the money you spent doing the big bore you could have sold your DRZ and bought an injected WR with all the extra power standard for the same price!!!! The DRZ is a great bike for having some fun on, learning and commuting, but even $750 -$800 at the cheapest for an exhaust, jet kit and filter is not worth it for the gain. So speaking from experience have a DRZ thats got all the mods and it goes OK but my brother's standard 2013 Yamaha WRsm absolutely shits on my DRZ, it's embarrassing.

Edited by berjo