Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400SM Won't Start

Got the bike to Myrtle Beach with no problems. Rode it to breakfast this morning, came back to it about 3.5 hours later and it refused to start. I made sure it was in neutral w/the kickstand down and when I pressed the start button with the clutch pulled in, the headlight dims and the dash stays lit but the bike makes no noise. I also tried starting with the kickstand up and in gear and in neutral. In all situations, the bike makes no noise when the start button is pushed. The battery is new as of December and the spark plug as of 1k miles ago. Relevant: the battery connections are clean and tight.

I don't know what else to add, but I'm quite frustrated considering my distance from home.

As always, any and all help is much appreciated.

hope your cylinder isn't flooded with fuel. pull the dipstick and smell for gas. 

smells like gas, and overfilled

YES = do an oil change

NO = push start it, nuetral to get it rolling, then pop it in third or fourth and JUMP on the seat when you pop the clutch. 

kill switch pressed in? I've done that once lol

I bump started it this morning. However, the ignition button works only sometimes and is very hard to bump start.

Edit: oil does not smell of gasoline.

Edited by MHOLCOMB3

I bump started it this morning. However, the ignition button works only sometimes and is very hard to bump start.

Edit: oil does not smell of gasoline.

As in sometimes you press the button and it cranks just fine and fires, sometimes you press the button and nothing happens? If so you may have a problem with the button

Yes bump starting is hard, normally if I can get it up to about 12mph it'll start in 2nd. Easier if your in higher gears but it's hard to get from neutral to fourth and still have enough speed if your on flat ground