Sign in to follow this  

Maier side panels

Have u ever used them...

How do they mount? look different from stock mounting..any pics??

I bought a pair for mine.  They don't look bad but have some funky mounting hardware.

They don't seal the side of the airbox look the factory ones do but they are half the price.

If you want them let me know.  They are sitting on a shelf in my garage.

No thanx its the OEM orange right side r almost impossible to find...so I was looking for a little info when I need them later on down the road

Mine are white. I would never use them.  They'll sit on my shelf until I get sick of looking at them and throw them in the recycling bin.

I'm in the same exact boat as beezer...............except I think the ones I have sitting on the shelf in my storage semi are red.  :thinking:

Old School Al

Instead of integrally molded mounting pegs/legs, the Maier side

panels for '70's-'80's XR80s have separate metal bolt-like mounting

legs. Fasteners attach the panel to the legs, the legs insert into the

grommets in the frame.

The Maier panels are available in a selection of colours that come

close to the various OEM shades of red and orange. (The trick is to

determine which Maier colour name matches which OEM colour code.)

I use some sets for bikes that had no panels and also when using one

bike which has a tidy set of OEM panels that I do not want to damage.

Maier's front fenders are on a few bikes, too. The shape of the

mounting boss where the fender attaches to the lower triple clamp

is not as crisp as OEM, but it is very adequate. Like the s-panels,

the colours are a suitable match. A fresh Maier looks much better

than a missing OEM.

Maier sells direct and their staff are pleasant to deal with.

Edited by EddyCurr

All of the above, but I did put a set of Maier plastics on my RM and they fit well, not quite as precise as the OEM but used OEM fasteners for the side panels.  The color was a good match to OEM but the finish had much more gloss. The RM left s-panels isn't the air box cover like the XRs so precision of fit isn't as important. So I think the uses of Maier plastic can be application specific,and I never considered using them on a XR for all of the above reasons. 

Sounds like Maier dropped the ball

Welcome to the united States of cutting corners to save a buck

Disappointing

Sounds like Maier dropped the ball

Welcome to the united States of cutting corners to save a buck

Disappointing

:thinking: I don't think that's really the case here.  They tried to vacuum form (out of I think it's ABS) the side covers to stay cost effective considering the amount they would sell.   Due to the design these particular covers, and the limitations of vacuum forming, it is next to impossible to end up with a decent side cover.  No way they could afford the tooling to injection mold the way Honda did for no more than they would sell.  They probably should have just passed on this particular cover, and probably make many other covers which are fine.  Actually I think Maier is a pretty good group of people and I would not try to turn anyone away from them.  They promptly refunded my money when I wasn't happy with the covers I bought...........no problem at all.  :thumbsup:

Old School Al

Vacuum formed stuff always sucks compared to injection molded, know what your'e buying.

thanks for the info i guess i could use a maier on the right if needed

they will b a last resort when the right side orange ones become unavailible anymore...which may sooner then later....any info on finding oem right side orange replacements would help other then ebay im about to remove my good one for fear of not being able to replace it later...

Vacuum formed stuff always sucks compared to injection molded, know what your'e buying.

Yes and no.  Vacuum and press forming use sheet stock, injection molding a liquid, both usually thermo plastics. So the processes are very different and so are the results.  Injection molding allows a more complex shape than sheet forming which is why the Honda left side panel has raised areas that seal the side of the air box, features not possible with sheet forming. As an example, next time you fly, look at the window surrounds/side panels in commercial jetliners, they are made from press formed flat stock with a decorative finish.

Yes and no.  Vacuum and press forming use sheet stock, injection molding a liquid, both usually thermo plastics. So the processes are very different and so are the results.  Injection molding allows a more complex shape than sheet forming which is why the Honda left side panel has raised areas that seal the side of the air box, features not possible with sheet forming. As an example, next time you fly, look at the window surrounds/side panels in commercial jetliners, they are made from press formed flat stock with a decorative finish.

I don't know what this has to do with dirt bikes, I just know when talking aftermarket bike stuff, I'm correct.................

I think a few posters were casting pearls before swine.

I agree and your guidance applies to almost all aftermarket products for our bikes. And we have TT to share product experiences. For some applications sheet formed is OK and the Maier the products have a glossier and harder surface finish than OEM, but for complex shapes  injection molding is required. Which is why I said in my first post that I wouldn't use Maier for the airbox side cover on my XR.

I think a few posters were casting pearls before swine.

Nothing wrong with sheet forming, just another manufacturing process, which is why I mentioned interior side panels in commercial jets, which are press formed rather than vacuum formed.