Sign in to follow this  

just got a '05 KDX 220R

Traded my DRZ that I loved so much against this amazingly still stock '05 kdx 220r.  I really &%$#@!ing loved my drz.  I just felt it was a bit too heavy for my liking out in the harder times.. I'm not a big guy, I weight 150 lbs...

I'll start off on the KDX by getting new hi bend handlebars/riser with handguards, a skit plate. 

Would you guys be able to help me break downs the do's and don'ts etc

good bye drz :(

cheers!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Very nice looking bike. I wish I could find one in that nice of shape in my area.

First thing I would do is replace the stock piston with a Wiseco. The stock pistons are known to cause problems.

Edited by H-B-R

hmm   i need a ratio chart that would help me mix oil while I go on those longer trails that require fueling...anybody know where i can find one?

That bike looks really clean.  Nice find.  Ready to farkle it?

After de-snorkling it, keep the stock pipe and replace the stock expansion chamber with an FMF Gnarly Woods to waken it up a little more.

Edited by AtomicXRer

be wary of your stock 220 piston, they break without warning. Overall though, if you want a little more juice invest in a 200 carb and also tune the airbox by taking out the snorkel and giving it some holes so it can breathe. Also the fork springs are going to be a little squishy if they are stock and the shock spring will be a little stiff as it is for a weight of around 180. Check around because I know shock springs can be had on ebay used for like 30-50 bucks. Overall there aint much to do other than that. enjoy!

As already stated, replace the OEM piston with a Wiseco. The OEM 220 piston is known to be flawed and short-lived, they tend to break skirts.

32:1 is 4 ounces per gallon.

The stock pipe is better as a boat anchor than an exhaust system. Replace it with an FMF Gnarly Desert pipe to wake that engine up. The Woods pipe works great for the 200, but it isn't much different than the stock pipe for the 220. The silencer is actually pretty good, although it's heavy. An aftermarket silencer will shed a couple of pounds, but it won't really add any power, just make it a little more responsive.

Toss the air box cover in the nearest trash can, or drill several 1 inch holes in it and remove the snorkel.

The stock jetting is pretty poor. The sticky at the top of this forum will help you with that.

The stock suspension is terribly unbalanced. The shock is sprung for about a 190 pound rider, while the forks are sprung for about a 145 pound rider. Correct springs for your weight will absolutely transform the handling, you'll think it's a different bike.

Edited by Chokey
  • Like 1

I've got one out in the shed that look just about like that. It's my brother's 05 220 that's also mostly stock and has had an easy life so far. Fun bike, I wish it was mine. ;)