Sign in to follow this  

Keep blowing headlight and brake light then I rev it

Just purchased new brake light and headlight from honda and they worked fine , as soon as I revved it they both went really bright and blew ...

Just purchased new brake light and headlight from honda and they worked fine , as soon as I revved it they both went really bright and blew ...

I would suggest checking the voltage regulator, either you don't have one or it is not working.

• Like 1

No

Due to the plethora of information that has been provided I can only conclude that this bike (whatever that may be) is in dire need of a "Retro Encabulator". See link ........ LOL.

Honda has shipped many XRs without having headlights that blow up.

Is your wiring not stock?

Sounds like the voltage regulator as suggested.

How to test a rectifyer

Harbor Freight has voltage testers.   I picked up one free during their sale.  Watch for coupons.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=voltage+meter

"The factory did the hard part, they turned a bunch of steel and aluminium into a running motor.

All I have to do is reproduce what they created.

Restore to factory specs. Not nearly as hard as what they did."

- Long time auto mechanic

Edited by Kev_XR

It's an xr400 1999 , is the voltage regulator under the tank? Because looks like there's one behind headlight aswell ?

Here is a wiring diagram for 96-04 XR400, classic XR AC lighting system that complies with USFS requirements for night operation.

A functioning voltage regulator would prevent bulb blowing.

The "AC Reg" in this diagram looks more like an AC/DC rect/reg. Aftermarket two wire 12 volt AC regs are available for about $13. A floating ground alternator with Pink and Yellow wires out are usually for DC systems, and the "AC reg is a four wire device,which is  usually a reg/rect. A close examination of your system with a VTM could tell the story.

xr4elect.gif

Edited by Chuck.

Decided to just bridge off my standard 12v dc reg , a 35 watt headlight and 21 watt tail light shouldn't overload it