Sign in to follow this  

YZ 85

I'm a beginner rider looking for a bike. Would a yz 85 be too small for me. In 5'10 155 pounds. Any suggestions would be great.

I'm a beginner rider looking for a bike. Would a yz 85 be too small for me. In 5'10 155 pounds. Any suggestions would be great.

What are you going to be doing with the bike?  Racing?  Riding trails?  Open country?  New or used?

I would suggest you start on something bigger like a 125cc two stroke or a 230cc four stroke trail bike...

If you are just starting to ride I would suggest a CRF 230 or maybe even a CRF 150R. Two strokes aren't really beginner friendly bikes.

If you are just starting to ride I would suggest a CRF 230 or maybe even a CRF 150R. Two strokes aren't really beginner friendly bikes.

I have a little bit different philosophy on the 125's.  I 100% agree that they are not beginner friendly, but it's exactly for that reason that I think the 125 is great for learning on.  I have both of my sons on 125's for many reasons outside the scope of this thread, but one big reason is I think the 125 makes a great training tool.  The 125 really forces the rider to learn and use clutch control right from the get go, rather than developing lazy clutch habits.  I know one could say that in the beginning you want the new rider to have a positive experience and learn other bike basics like body position, cornering, etc...without having to focus too much on the clutch, which I agree with.   However by keeping a crisp 125 in the lower revs, on less challenging terrain the rider can actually putt around on the 125 and it's pretty tame and predictable, and one can still get around pretty good.  Unless the new rider gets extremely throttle happy the bike is pretty mellow and predicatable......but as the rider develops he's got plenty of "scream" on tap to keep him from getting bored...but won't get anywhere through more challenging terrain without having learned some clutch modulating skills...

So having said that, I believe the 125 to be the perfect, quintessential beginner's bike :thumbsup:  Just bear in mind that if you get into riding and really dig it, you will likely become bored with the 230 and want to sell it and buy something else....so try to incorporate that foresight into your purchase decision if you can.  Bikes only go as fast and hard as you tell them too when you twist the throttle....some just command more respect than others :lol: ....so buy enough power that you can reasonably handle as a beginner, but not something that will bore you after.  But heck, buying and selling bikes can be a whole new addictive hobby in itself....so it's up to you ;)

Also bear in mind there are maintenance related tasks that if you are new to any kind of mechanical equipment you might be better off with the bulletproof 230 ;)

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 1