Sign in to follow this  

Is the 2014 really as good as they say?

I have had my 2005  YZ 250 fir 10 years. I have been waiting for a bike to peak my interest enough to go out and buy a new bike.I have ridden some yz 250f's over the years and they were great bikes just a little down on power from what I am used to on my YZ 250 and I weigh 200lbs. Now everything I read about the 2014 makes it sound like those things are no longer an issue. I can't find a 2014 to take a spin on and my biggest worry is that I will go buy one and it will have the same issue as all the other 250f's I have ridden. Is the hype for real? 

I have the same questions as you, I'm coming off a 2010 YZ450 and ride mostly tight single track woods. The 450 was a blast to ride but a little cumbersome in handle bar tight woods. I recently rode a 2010 or 11?? ktm 250SX and it was just gutless.. This new YZ250f sounds like it might be a little ripper. Am I gonna have to hold this thing wide open all the time to make power or can it pull off the bottom? If you ride a 14 YZ250F in the woods let us all know how it compares to other bikes and if there any upgrades for power and torque.

Thanks

I have the same questions as you, I'm coming off a 2010 YZ450 and ride mostly tight single track woods. The 450 was a blast to ride but a little cumbersome in handle bar tight woods. I recently rode a 2010 or 11?? ktm 250SX and it was just gutless.. This new YZ250f sounds like it might be a little ripper. Am I gonna have to hold this thing wide open all the time to make power or can it pull off the bottom? If you ride a 14 YZ250F in the woods let us all know how it compares to other bikes and if there any upgrades for power and torque.

Thanks

I'm curious about this as well and knowing a few guys that have them they say No the bike works great in the woods but I think both of them are in the 175lbs weight range and I'm 210.  Love the 250Fs and after all I've read about bikes this year the 14 YZF is interesting.

I finally got to ride mine Wednesday and I am impressed to say the least. I had 06's-08's and really liked them but i am 200+ lbs and the bike didn't pull well in lower rpms in 3rd. This 2014 pulls me around tight corners in third without having to even slip the clutch. Just roll on the throttle as hard as you want and it pulls out of the corner with no hesitation at all. The only mods I plan to do w this bike is a Power Commander V and have it dyno tuned. Very happy with it so far.

I finally got to ride mine Wednesday and I am impressed to say the least. I had 06's-08's and really liked them but i am 200+ lbs and the bike didn't pull well in lower rpms in 3rd. This 2014 pulls me around tight corners in third without having to even slip the clutch. Just roll on the throttle as hard as you want and it pulls out of the corner with no hesitation at all. The only mods I plan to do w this bike is a Power Commander V and have it dyno tuned. Very happy with it so far.

How would you say it compares with a 250T out of a corner?

How would you say it compares with a 250T out of a corner?

Hard to say. The characteristics of a 2-stroke are different than 4-stroke. I would say more control out of the corner on a 250F but not going to launch you out of the corner like a 250 2-stroke. I would say it "tractors" through the corner.

Yes they are great in the woods I love mine I am yet to fined a hill I can't go up and I can keep up with the 450's all day long perfect low end

After I tried the YZ250F '14, I didn't doubt any moment and sold my race built KX250F '14 bike. Yamaha is so good, it handles awesome and feels so light. I'm just so stunned about it and you can't go wrong with it.

Edited by Quake

After I tried the YZ250F '14, I didn't doubt any moment and sold my race built KX250F '14 bike. Yamaha is so good, it handles awesome and feels so light. I'm just so stunned about it and you can go wrong with it.

"can't go wrong with it" surely.

Give it some fuel and advance the ignition, they really 'pull' then :-)

I use mine primarily for the woods and got rid of my 05 YZ125 thinking it would suit me better and it does. I'm about 185-190lbs without gear and love the low end torque and tractor like pull of the four stroke. The 2 stroke launches you out of corners like a rocket, the four stroke powers you through in a more controlled tractor like way which I find easier to control and less tiring to ride. For me, having controlled power in the woods is best, the suspension is a little stiff for tight technical trail and I'm going to have mine re-valved, but it's great for the mx track or sand. I bought the GYTR power programmer and it's great for adjusting the power delivery for whatever you like. I am completely happy with the choice I made.

• Like 1

My experience with 4T MX bikes in the woods is that when I quickly open the throttle at low (chugging) RPM they cough and die.  

How does the 2014 YZ250f react to quickly opening the throttle at low chugging RPM?

My experience with 4T MX bikes in the woods is that when I quickly open the throttle at low (chugging) RPM they cough and die.

How does the 2014 YZ250f react to quickly opening the throttle at low chugging RPM?

great it pulls perfect

Is there anyone with previous 450 experience to give comparison?

I find the 250f a lot easier to ride for one reason only - it is not as abrupt off the bottom and you can give it a heap more throttle without it 'lighting' up / trying to rip your arms off. Otherwise 450f / 300 2s for me, I like it when you come up to something unexpectedly and you can just faaaart / braaaap your way over e.g. a log / drop off / deep square edge hole, those sort of things. It is not to say that the 250f will not do it, it just takes some more effort and you have to work them a lot harder for longer. 

The new 250f and 450f have a lot more in common ride wise than in past gen's.

My favorite woods bike is my GG300 2s in the slow techy stuff (you can give it a surprising amount of throttle before it gets 'angry'), my '14 450f on the more open trails. 

Only my 2c though, others opinions may differ.

i Love my 14 yz250f.  I did 45 trail miles yesterday and it was great.  No issues with it at all.

I am trying to decide between the 250 and 450 for a woods bike. Which would be better. I am 165. B-level.

I'm 215 lbs and the 250 pull's me great, throttle response is awesome and the bike feel's very light and I ride mx. Wish I could give more info.

• Like 1

I'm 215 lbs and the 250 pull's me great, throttle response is awesome and the bike feel's very light and I ride mx. Wish I could give more info.

I'm 210 and I have the 250 and I am very happy with performance.

• Like 1

I'm 210 and I have the 250 and I am very happy with performance.

What kind of terrain?  Any suspension work necessary for a 165 lb guys for woods riding or can I just adjust with the clickers?  I already have the FI programmer to change the mapping.  I may end up with a new bike before the weekend.  I've got the "fever" reall bad.