CRF250L tires - are these right?

I'm looking to go to a much more on-road biased tire on my CRF250L - something like the Shinko 705.  I'm putting this on a bone stock bike, and not looking for anything crazy - just want a 'by the book' replacement.

The stock CRF250L tires appear to be:

Rear - 120/80 - 18 - uses a tube

Front - 3.00x21 - not sure if this uses a tube?

From a search on Motorcycle Superstore, it looks like the Shinko 705 comes in a 120/80H-18 TT, which should be a direct replacement - so I think I've got that one...

The front that is available is a 90/90H-21 TL (TL = tubeless?).  Is that what I need on the front?  I don't see any options, but I don't want to order a tire if it isn't going to work...

Sorry if this is a dumb question - I just couldn't get to the point where I was sure that I had the right front tire here before ordering...

Thanks!

You have to run tubes in all spoke type wheels unless you add the tubliss system ... http://goo.gl/GxRsuu

Exactly what gnath9 said. Spokes = tubes.

On a side note, I know some people with Shinko 705's on their DRZ's and they really like them.

EDIT: googled it. TL does mean tubeless

EDIT #2: I'm new to dirt bikes (lots of street experience). From what I can gather, you can run a tube in that tubeless front tire. I'm no expert, but Internet said you could haha, so MUST be true :D

Forum my search led me to had people saying they were running tubes in the front Shinko 705 tubeless tire w/o issue.

Edited by Old Goat Ninja
  • Like 1

Thanks for the responses - now off to research the tubes in tubeless tire thing more.  Thanks again!

• Like 2

Gnaths mind = BLOWN!!!  :eek:

I cant believe they dont just make all spoke wheels this way these days, but then again im not a big tube fan.  Some day Ill get me a Tubeliss setup.  I like that they also act as beadlocks.

• Like 2

I stand corrected ....  :worthy:  ... again ...  :doh:

I fixed my post ...  :p

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 2

Hi all,

New to the forum, I've posted a hello in the newbie section.

I want to put some more road orientated tyres on my CRF too.

Rode from the UK to Belgium yesterday and plan on doing some more long distance trips with some minor off roading here and there.

I was looking at the Avon Distanzia and the Avon road riders. The Distanzia looks like it could cope with a little dry weather light off roading and cope better on wet Tarmac.

I'm not keen on the standard tyres in the wet.

Has anyone tried these?

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of Avon tires --I had one came apart in the desert in hot weather --it only had 300 miles on it and they would not warrenty it as it was used "off road" ??? :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm::jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Hi all,

New to the forum, I've posted a hello in the newbie section.

I want to put some more road orientated tyres on my CRF too.

Rode from the UK to Belgium yesterday and plan on doing some more long distance trips with some minor off roading here and there.

I was looking at the Avon Distanzia and the Avon road riders. The Distanzia looks like it could cope with a little dry weather light off roading and cope better on wet Tarmac.

I'm not keen on the standard tyres in the wet.

Has anyone tried these?

I've been  running the Avon Distansas on the street for the last 2k miles, love them.

They're a little expensive compared to others, but have shown no signs of abnormal wear and after the first two break in rides, they really hook up on the pavement.

If you know how to and don't mind changing tires, get a good set of knobbies for the dirt and Avon Distansas for the street.

I went with the 110 rear instead of the 120, no need for all that extra weight & friction on a low HP bike.

skidplate001_zps90869ea0.jpg

skidplate2003_zpsf31fe5da.jpg

Edited by humbug
  • Like 4

I'm looking to go to a much more on-road biased tire on my CRF250L - something like the Shinko 705.  I'm putting this on a bone stock bike, and not looking for anything crazy - just want a 'by the book' replacement.

From a search on Motorcycle Superstore, it looks like the Shinko 705 comes in a 120/80H-18 TT, which should be a direct replacement - so I think I've got that one...

The front that is available is a 90/90H-21 TL (TL = tubeless?).  Is that what I need on the front?  I don't see any options, but I don't want to order a tire if it isn't going to work...

Sorry if this is a dumb question - I just couldn't get to the point where I was sure that I had the right front tire here before ordering...

Thanks!

i have the shinko 700...  i really like them for on road.. they hook up real well... the stock tires never let me down, rain or shine, but the shinko's are totally worth the money.. i paid $58 shipped to my door for them... 

0000_shinko_700_series_dual_sport_rear_t

• Like 2

i have the shinko 700...  i really like them for on road.. they hook up real well... the stock tires never let me down, rain or shine, but the shinko's are totally worth the money.. i paid $58 shipped to my door for them... 

0000_shinko_700_series_dual_sport_rear_t

That looks like a good tire to me also--are they in the larger sizes for our CRF 250L???

Thanks!

I run a 4.60 Shinko and so far so good, use the kenda on front for better grip in the dirt, but I ride a lot of street and hiway here in Thai, like i said, so far so good

IMAG0444.jpg

Edited by hockeyrick

I run a 4.60 Shinko and so far so good, use the kenda on front for better grip in the dirt, but I ride a lot of street and hiway here in Thai, like i said, so far so good

same here on the 4.60... no problems on road what so ever... i haven't been off road with them yet though...  

That looks like a good tire to me also--are they in the larger sizes for our CRF 250L???

• Like 1

Just wanted to thank everybody - I went with Shinko 705's and am happy with them (only tested on-road so far).  Pictures are below!

DSCF2368.jpg

DSCF2370.jpg

DSCF2371.jpg

• Like 6