Sign in to follow this  

DIfficulty installing throttle tube

Really struggling with this even though I have the manual.

On my 2007 XR 650L I thought it would be really easy to change out the throttle tube, even being not particularly mechanically inclined. I have tried disconnecting the cables from the carb to get more slack, but I just can't seem to get the cables to route properly through the plastic guide and get the enclosure on.

Does anyone have any tips or pictures for this? 

I'm not quite sure I even have the return or "push" cable on the right slot in the disc.

It's always a pain in the rear with the XR650L throttle assembly; you're not alone.

That throttle assembly has to be a contender for the worst one ever. I don't think even a video would help anyone with assembly, you just have to hold your mouth right.

You should try pulling the slack out as you slowly guide the throttle tube into place. Too much slack will just bind things up.

Good luck.

Yep..Well I'm not sure what you've changed the throttle tube for/to but the trick is to get the handlebar throttle assembly

assembled with the cables all in and pull/pushing correctly first. Don't do it with the assembly on the bars,,do it in your hands.

Once that's sorted out you leave the attachment screws a wee bit loose and slide it over the end of the bars then tighten your screws a little bit

and route the cables through to the carbs and hook them up so one pulls and one pushes. Turn the accelerator asssemby and 

the push/pull should be obvious. Then turn the arm on the carbs the cables attach to and you will see which side of the arm you

attach the cables to. Getting the normal XR/XL handlebar assembly correct is tricky,,The plastic runner bits inside it create a challenge

sometimes,,No guides for that..You just fiddle till it seems to function as it should..After that it should be easy..You don't want the cables

attached to the carb at all when trying to assemble the handlebar housing,,that's the main bit.

Edited by Horri