KTM 500 EXC exhaust

Recently purchased a 2014 KTM EXC; slightly used with 16 hours on it.  (very excited!!!!!)

the former owner got on the throttle and stood it up catching the stock exhaust.   it is bent right near the shock to a point that I do not think i can repair it.

So seeking advice on whether to go back with the stock header (purchase) or go ahead and change out to an aftermarket full (header and slip on) exhaust??????

I see many riders advocating changing out the exhaust anyway.

If I change out the exhaust to say an FMF (or other) would have have to "re-map" the bike?

Or what modifications has anyone done if changing out exhaust?

I am not a "racer" but will ride off and on-road.

thanks....scott from NC

Congrats on the purchase! The stock exhaust and header is a solid combo, but if its already damaged and needs to be replaced the FMF megabomb and a matched silencer works very well on these bikes. Not sure if you need to remap, some do and some don't. Seems to be preference. Good luck.

I'd be looking around for a good used oem pipe that some fool has taken off thinking he needs more power or for what ever reason. Spend the money you save on suspension and you will leave the posers with their mega bombs well behind.

• Like 4

The stock exhaust is quiet and performs well, it will keep riding areas open longer than louder after market exhausts. Speaking from experience, there are no riding areas here anymore and I have to drive over an hour to ride off road even though there are thousands of acres a few miles away, thanks to all the loud idiots.

• Like 2

Thank you for the responses and first choice is to go with the OEM pipe.   the header pice is bent to the point that I cannot fix it......the slip on OEM silencer is in good condition.   Looking around for the header pipe if anyone has replaced their with aftermarket and looking to get rid of the factory pipe.

thanks s

• Like 2

Riding buddy went with the Q-4 FMF and really enjoyed the difference it made. He didn't have to remap the bike if I remember correct he had to let it idle for a certain amount of time. About the noise issue I didn't notice to much difference as long as you keep the spark arrestor in it.  

Does anyone have a factory exhaust compatible with a 2014 KTM 500 EXC they are looking to get rid of?

I am specifically just looking for the header piece; i have the factory slip on.

if so PM or call at 910-478-6339

thanks scott from NC

joedirt1....

thanks for the response, and please do reach out as I do need the header piece.  my end cap is OK.

again, the guy i bought it from had purchased brand new 2014 500 EXC...after riding about 12 hours he stoop it straight up and it got away from him.   the end cap dug up and ended up bending the subframe and the header pipe (around the bend at the shock).

so i was able to heat up the AL subframe and basically straighten it out; only the right end piece was bent.  not like brand new but damm close.  reassembled everything (tail light, etc) and good to go.

i am able to get the header and end cap on to ride around but the bend doesn't allow the end cap to line up exactly with the bolt holes; its about 1.5 to 2" off.  so i zip tied for now just riding around.   not bad for $2k less than a brand new one and I got it with around 17 hours on it.

man what a sweet ride this machine is...awesome!   I am heavier than the normal 185# rider so i gotta possibly get another spring on the shock 

Again, please give me a call when/if you get the OEM pipe.  (910-478-6339)

thanks scott from NC

Yes it's a simple direct bolt on. Took me about 15 min to put it on. This end cap is a very good option because its cheaper than FMF slip on and you get the same results.

Once you get the stock end cap off you will see how restrictive it is.

Nice thing about the Pro Moto end cap is that you have the option of removing or installing the spark arrestor screen or silencer in about a minute.

Edited by Lowpro