Sign in to follow this  

1972 TS 90 - starts but bogs when giving throttle

The TS 90 and 100 used a rotary valve intake. The rotary disk could be bad or the inner or outer disk seals could be leaking air. Hope that helps.

Are you getting dirt into the carb that my be clogging the jets?  I would recommend a good fuel filter and a new fuel line if you haven't already done so.  I had to clean the carb on my TS100 multiple times before I got it truly clean but it had been sitting for 20 years.  It could also be an ignition issue - have the points and condenser been replaced and adjusted correctly?  When my plugs were starting to foul the bike wouldn't rev at all and would smoke heavily, it wasn't until we ran the bikes for a couple of hours and flushed the old injector oil out that they started to run OK.  Is the air filter new and/or clean and not deteriorating as they do fall apart as they age and can cause havoc in the carb.  We haven't had problems with the seals on either side of the engine (I have a 1973 & 1976 TC & TS) but that doesn't mean that yours couldn't be needing replacement.

Best of Luck solving these frustrating problems.

I solved the problem. It appears that After cleaning the carb, I missed the washer under the main jet. With the washer in place, it runs great. Thanks for the suggestions.

I solved the problem. It appears that After cleaning the carb, I missed the washer under the main jet. With the washer in place, it runs great. Thanks for the suggestions.

Always a good feeling when you get those pesky problems solved.  Hey, any pics of your bike?  I had a 1972 TS-50 when I was a kid which was identical to the TS-90 except for engine size. I still have the mirrors from that bike floating around my garage somewhere and if your in need of some original mirrors LMK.  

It felt really good to finally fix it. I must have misplaced the washer on my workbench when I cleaned the carb. This bike is friends. It has been in his family since 1972ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1404343116.289008.jpg

Edited by jneiman