Sign in to follow this  

What to do?

I finally decided to get a yz250 2 stroke and I just want to know what I need to do to make sure it stays in top shape... what I need to change the oil the pistons ect.

I finally decided to get a yz250 2 stroke and I just want to know what I need to do to make sure it stays in top shape... what I need to change the oil the pistons ect.

Order a service manual specific to your model.  It will answer those questions in great detail and then some...

• Like 2

You buy new or used?? that's very important to evaluating the needed maintenance now. But the long term maintenance will be the same.

I'll give you some good ideas that I've developed since I began maintaining my own bikes.

I'm buying used but what are some of the things you do and how often

Every ride: wash bike, check wheel steering head shock and linkage bearings, top off antifreeze, remove wheels grease axles AND spacers, clean air filter, live chain footpeg springs and shifter spring, check throttle and clutch cables, clean fork seals with SealDoctor (especially if you went riding in tacky soil), check brake pads and sprockets for wear, check chain tension and integrity.

Change oil every 10 hrs or less.

Every 15 hrs: bleed brakes, live kickstarter pivot, grease brake pedal bushing, remove grease kickstarter and shifter splines.

Every 25 hrs: grease steering head.

Every 50 hrs: service suspension VERY IMPORTANT, bc waiting too long is like delaying oil changes on ur truck.

Every 80 hrs: replace piston and rings.

• Like 1

This is most if the basic maintenance I follow for my bike, and it's always in great shape, doesn't creak or act strangely. Oh--torque your shock bolts AND triple clamps every ride. I've messed up my stuff twice by not paying close attention to suspension torques.

Oil changes, air filter cleanings, chain lubing, bolt tightening, cable adjusting, tire pressure.

There's a lot to owning a bike. And a lot of debate on how and when you should do these things.

If you have a friend who has a bike, he may be able to help you best in person.

Personally, I:

change my oil every few rides.

clean my air filter every few rides.

check my bolts every few rides.

check my coolant every few rides.

lube my pivot points every few rides.

clean and lube my chain every ride.

check my clutch and throttle freeplay every ride.

check my tire pressure every ride.

Top ends can last for years if you ride very little, or they can get trashed in seconds if you suck in dirt.

You are right, though. There is much that the manual says that doesn't apply.

The yz manual says to do a top end every 5 races.  If you don't race, then how do you know? You really need someone there to help you in person.

• Like 1

L.O.P. very good! I'll add that I replace the piston -pretty soon- on any used bike I buy, just so I have a starting point. Other than that, lubricants...everywhere.

Edit: I'll add that premix oil ratio varies based on quality and useage. I run 100:1 on my Banshee but 32:1 on my CR125.

32:1 with cheapo or 50:1 with synthetic is pretty safe all around. 100:1 is for those of us moving 5 gallons an hour, ie: dragsters and hillclimbers. 

Edited by sandlvr69

My sisters boyfriend races and know everything to know bout bikes but when I take it to him I want to know at least a little so I don't looks stupid. Thanks for the help

My sisters boyfriend races and know everything to know bout bikes but when I take it to him I want to know at least a little so I don't looks stupid. Thanks for the help

Ignorant isn't stupid. In completely ignorant to heart surgery, but absence of knowledge or experience doesn't make you stupid.

If he treats you like ur stupid, he's the idiot. Just don't troll around like others that wanna seen more knowledgeable than they are.