Usd crf questions

When it comes to swapping on usd forks from a crf onto a xr600r, is there a difference between the crf250 and crf450 forks? I know the x models have a speedo gear but is everything else the same?

It would seem that the x models should be valved different than the r's is that the case? Any info on what parts to look for would be awesome. Thanks!

Don't think there's much difference..You just need to get above 2002 forks..I did as Elsalvador did in the thread I post

but with 450 forks (2004)..My brake caliper wouldn't fit but I think tht was because my current bike wasn't running the

normal XR600 caliper..My previous forks were XR350 so maybe the caliper was slightly different..I just purchased

a used 250/450 one and bolted her on. In the thing I post below Elsalvador uses as far as I can gather only the one

shim in the top triple..My forks needed a shim in the bottom as well as far as I gathered from the engineer I got to

do the shims..I needed to do none of the thinning of nuts etc..So essentially I pushed out the CRFs forks stem and

used the 600 one..Easier and easily as solid as using the normal CRF one..It looks prettier is about it's only plus.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774934

Anything else you need to know about the 600 stem method just ask..The other way I don't know a lot about.

I used my stock wheel and simply got a longer bigger, fatter axle off some other bike from the local wreckers

which fitted my wheel bearings but had enough meat on one end to enable turning down so it fitted one side of the clamp system and and had my engineer mate turn up another spacer/collet for the other end so it in turn was

clamped into the other side of the bottom fork/wheel clamps..

Edited by Horri

Rad, thanks for the info. That link is good stuff. Sounds like the 250 is sprung and valved a little softer, that may be the way to go for me.

I wasnt really planning on doing a usd swap right now but I want to get my wheels laced up and i dont want to have to relace if i switch to a crf front wheel. Getting it done now is sounding like a better idea every time i think about it.:D

• 5 months later...

Ok, its been a while now but i finally pulled the trigger on some parts. Originally i was hoping to find a local craigslist deal on a complete crf front end (forks, triples, wheel) but that has proved to be more difficult than anticipated. I finally caved in and picked up a set of forks from a 2006 crf250r off fleabay. Then, a front wheel from an R model locally and now I need a set of triple clamps and an axle and i should be in buisness.

So, here is my question... should I get triple clamps from a crf R or an X model? I am intending on running a vapor for a speedo so the mounting points for the factory crfx dash are not important. The reason I am thinking X model triples may be better is that I have always prefered the look of a stock headlight shroud over an aftermarket design and I like the idea of using an OEM headlight shroud on factory crfx triples for a clean look. I would really appreciate any advice (pics welcome) on what route to take from folks who have done a crf fork conversion with a headlight.

Here are som pics I pulled from ebay adds. The difference i was looking at are the tabs with the grommets on the X model triples as well as the little tabs near the top fork clamp bolts, I assume those are to mount the dash and headlight but that is just an assumption. Are any of these tabs or threaded holes useful or should Ijust get some R model triples like the bottom pic.

1416157539715.jpg

1416157616731.jpg

Edited by Backwoods Bomber

I went with 2008 crf450x forks. The axle was moved back 2mm that year I believe. RSW Racing makes a spiffy conversation bracket that allows you to mount up all your OEM stuff, so the cockpit doesn't really change, keep your steering lock and all, uae the stock stem too! I used longer bolts to hold on the 3 inch risers and put on some Pro Taper Evo bars. I asked for the 7/8 bars but got the fat bar mounts, best mix up ever. Now for the riser mounts, it used like a 20mm bolts with stainless lock washers, which as horrible under pressure. I used 30mm bolts, or whatever the longest I could use, and red lock tight. Been through some woods crashes and dropped my bike this week in the garage, no problems.

RSW will become non existent once you order from them though. No emails or calls will be answered. Good product though!

Get ready for fitment issues if you run the stock tank. I use a 4.7 gallon Clarke. Even squeezed an XR400 oil cooler in the mix too.

What year did those X triples come from? The ones I've seen didn't have any additional brackets.

The X models I've seen didn't have too much of a dash, basically just a mechanical odometer like the XRs. Maybe they changed over the years.

Those ones are advertised as 2005 crf450x. All the X model triples i have found seem to look like that. I'm sure you can see why i am asking, are any of those mount points useful? I was thinking the ones pointing forward with the grommets would probably just get cut off and I could use the little tabs near the upper fork clamp bolts to mount the top of the headlight. I may just have to spend the $40 and see how it works, i would be happy to eliminate the upper set of rubber bands that are currently mounting the headlight.

I went with 2008 crf450x forks. The axle was moved back 2mm that year I believe. RSW Racing makes a spiffy conversation bracket that allows you to mount up all your OEM stuff, so the cockpit doesn't really change, keep your steering lock and all, uae the stock stem too! I used longer bolts to hold on the 3 inch risers and put on some Pro Taper Evo bars. I asked for the 7/8 bars but got the fat bar mounts, best mix up ever. Now for the riser mounts, it used like a 20mm bolts with stainless lock washers, which as horrible under pressure. I used 30mm bolts, or whatever the longest I could use, and red lock tight. Been through some woods crashes and dropped my bike this week in the garage, no problems.

RSW will become non existent once you order from them though. No emails or calls will be answered. Good product though!

Get ready for fitment issues if you run the stock tank. I use a 4.7 gallon Clarke. Even squeezed an XR400 oil cooler in the mix too.

Bluff, thanks for the reference on the RSW clamps. Those would completely solve my issue however, they are a little out of budget on this particular project at $325 plus shipping. I am planning on running an xr 400 cooler (i already have it) and also am running a clarke 4.7 tank but it is on an older xr600r so I dont have the steering lock to deal with.

At this point I am planning on just using the all balls conversion bearings and crf stem but if it looks like i will need a ton of goofy spacers I will swap stems.

I used 03 CR250 forks with 22mm offset Protaper triples, CR250 front wheel, EBC 280mm front disc and wave disc, Renthal RC mini high bars they are 29.5 inch wide I like narrow bars and dont have to cut them down! HDB handgard system with custom machined top clamp, Vapor computer, Forks was rebuit with all new seals, bushings etc, revalve springs, shortend to 11.5 in of travel. So I went off the DEEP END! As I have about 2,000 dollars in front end! Still in building stage but now being a OTR truck driver dont have MUCH time!

Im like Tim Allen I start some simple mods and things get OUT OF HAND!

CAM00114.jpg

CAM00116.jpg

CAM00117.jpg

I used 03 CR250 forks with 22mm offset Protaper triples, CR250 front wheel, EBC 280mm front disc and wave disc, Renthal RC mini high bars they are 29.5 inch wide I like narrow bars and dont have to cut them down! HDB handgard system with custom machined top clamp, Vapor computer, Forks was rebuit with all new seals, bushings etc, revalve springs, shortend to 11.5 in of travel. So I went off the DEEP END! As I have about 2,000 dollars in front end! Still in building stage but now being a OTR truck driver dont have MUCH time!

Im like Tim Allen I start some simple mods and things get OUT OF HAND!

Yeah, sometimes i get in too deep also.? I really like that HDB dash set up, it looks burly and functional.

In 2005 the forks got about 7mm shorter. Then the 2008 forks (at least the R model ones) got another 2mm shorter. So there's some advantage to starting with the later shorter forks.

The forks I got are from an 06 so its good to have an idea what to expect as far as height goes.

My end goal is to sumo the 600 with 17 inch wheels. I am expecting that the slightly longer forks will make up for some of the height lost by having 2 inches less wheel under the axle. Although a slightly steeper rake would probably be just fine, I will be sure to take good measurements and try to keep my geometry somewhat similiar to stock.

The forks I got are from an 06 so its good to have an idea what to expect as far as height goes.

My end goal is to sumo the 600 with 17 inch wheels. I am expecting that the slightly longer forks will make up for some of the height lost by having 2 inches less wheel under the axle. Although a slightly steeper rake would probably be just fine, I will be sure to take good measurements and try to keep my geometry somewhat similiar to stock.

That should work good!

Yeah I picked up set of CBR600 wheels so I could swap them and play SM.But bought a 2013 KTM990SMT so no need to do that now!