Sign in to follow this  

I've done something so stupid with my shock...

I was replacing my bottom shock bearing, so I took my shock off, and laid it down, and it sat there for a few days like that. it didn't even dawn on me, that this would mess up the gas/oil inside the shock. right now it acts like there is no shock, and wondering if anybody else was stupid like me. I am going to try and take it back off, and lay it down with the reservoir up, maybe the oil will leak back out, and the gas will go to where it should be.

EDIT: There is now a noticeable leak, surprising to me, that it went that fast.

Edited by LukeBrinkerhoff

I can't imagine that laying it down would hurt it.  Bikes are laid down all the time without it affecting the shock.

Are you sure you didn't just let the gas out?

It doesn't matter if the shock is upside down, upright, sideways, etc.  You messed something else up or the shock already had issues.  Probably time for a shock rebuild.

Putting your shock in any position for any period of time should not cause any issues - something else has gone wrong or you somehow let out the gas, 

Putting your shock in any position for any period of time should not cause any issues - something else has gone wrong or you somehow let out the gas, 

For starters, how in the world could have I "accidentally" let the gas out? anyways, I added to the topic, there is now I noticable leak, now that I have bounced it over a hundred times, and did a small ride in the yard. Hope my shop can do KTM, they told me they are not sure if their guys work with KTM shocks or not. it would be faster than me trying to rebuild it on my own.

I take my rear shocks out of my bikes every other month and lay them on their side for a few days. I do this to soak the rebound adjuster in WD40 while I strip my bikes down to rebuild them. I have never had any issues.

For starters, how in the world could have I "accidentally" let the gas out? anyways, I added to the topic, there is now I noticable leak, now that I have bounced it over a hundred times, and did a small ride in the yard. Hope my shop can do KTM, they told me they are not sure if their guys work with KTM shocks or not. it would be faster than me trying to rebuild it on my own.

There are special tools required to service WP components, make sure your shop has a pump to remove the air from the system. If you need to send it out, may I recommend member ds1434 on here, he's in southern Ohio, and does excellent work, and is reasonable priced.

There are special tools required to service WP components, make sure your shop has a pump to remove the air from the system. If you need to send it out, may I recommend member ds1434 on here, he's in southern Ohio, and does excellent work, and is reasonable priced.

Thanks, but I will need it done this week, I can't do it that fast, so I need a place that is within driving distance. there are a few places nearby, now it's just finding out who can do the best job.

something I thought about, since I just read it. if I don't have enough preload on my shock, will that cause the seals to go bad?

Edited by LukeBrinkerhoff

Looks like you accidentally let the oil out!  Probably just bad luck but if you are up for a nice rebuild try factory connection, 2-3 day turn around and the will do it rightl - might be just as fast as having your local shop learn on your stuff if they don't have KTM experience https://www.factoryconnection.com/services/rebuild/

Looks like you accidentally let the oil out!  Probably just bad luck but if you are up for a nice rebuild try factory connection, 2-3 day turn around and the will do it rightl - might be just as fast as having your local shop learn on your stuff if they don't have KTM experience https://www.factoryconnection.com/services/rebuild/

By accidentally, the seal went bad. if it's so hard to do something to a shock, how could I have possibly caused the leak, if all I did was take it out, lay it down for a couple days, then put it back in. one of the shops have KTM experience, another is not sure if their guys do work on them. problem with sending it out, is I need it back friday the 23rd, so it leaving monday, arriving there wednesday, they would need it done, and sent back out the same day.

I personally would not trust a local dealership to rebuild suspension.. in my experience most of them contract that stuff out anyway.  Try looking at sponsors of local racing series to see if you can find a local suspension tuner.  Be prepared for them to want to replace all the seals and bushings.  I would say you should be looking at approximately $100 for labor and another $100 for parts barring any catastrophic problems.  Some shops I know can turn rebuilds around same day depending on work load and stock of parts.

No, not having enough preload on the shock will not make the seals go bad.

Run your fingers up and down the shock shaft, feeling for burrs. A burr will cut and ruin a seal.

Have to admit, I had a moment of panic when I started reading this thread! My shock is currently laying on its side waiting for a new spring. Then I remembered that the gas is contained in a bladder and the oil fills the rest of the space in the shock housing. There is no way for the two to become intermingled or go anywhere other than the proper places unless there is a damaged seal or some other problem.

With no spring does your shock return to the extended position by itself after you compress it? If yes your gas is probably fine. If it goes in and out really fast with no resistance then you have lost oil and introduced air to the place where only oil should be. Either way, it is not from laying it on its side. Its unlikely that you did anything wrong unless you took something apart on the shock itself.

LukeBrinkerhoff,

There is absolutely no way that laying a shock on it's side will hurt it in any way ~ period.  Thousands of shocks every year are shipping on their sides after being rebuilt and have never had a problem.  Please remember that a shock is under constant pressure due to the nitrogen charge, so it doesn't matter what position it's in it won't fail because of that. 

Your shock had issues before you removed it.

LukeBrinkerhoff,

There is absolutely no way that laying a shock on it's side will hurt it in any way ~ period.  Thousands of shocks every year are shipping on their sides after being rebuilt and have never had a problem.  Please remember that a shock is under constant pressure due to the nitrogen charge, so it doesn't matter what position it's in it won't fail because of that. 

Your shock had issues before you removed it.

I think we have already determined that isn't the problem. I already had that thought in my mind.

I personally would not trust a local dealership to rebuild suspension.. in my experience most of them contract that stuff out anyway.  Try looking at sponsors of local racing series to see if you can find a local suspension tuner.  Be prepared for them to want to replace all the seals and bushings.  I would say you should be looking at approximately $100 for labor and another $100 for parts barring any catastrophic problems.  Some shops I know can turn rebuilds around same day depending on work load and stock of parts.

Problem is time, if I had the time to wait more, I would send it off. there is a shop here, that has very good credit, they have very good reviews from all sorts of shock rebuilds.