Sign in to follow this  

Setting a bike up for TAT

Leaving next month to do the TAT and I have a question about tires and gearing. I'm going to start out with new tires. I have a set of Kenda K270s sitting in my TT store shopping cart. I haven't read anything bad about them, they are reasonably priced and sound like they will fit the bill. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on them for this purpose. Most of my experience is on offroad tires so I'm in uncharted water for me.

The other guys' I'm going with are ridding S models, I'm on an E so I was wondering if gearing is going to be a problem on the road sections and since I'm also starting out with fresh sprockets and chain now is the time to fix it if need be. 

Thanks for any advice

no idea on the tires, but those seem reasonable

15-47 is a decent 55mph gearing. I usually run 14-47 (stock E) but when I did a 250 mi run through 3 colorado passes (including red cone) I used the 15-47 gearing. It worked well enough on both technical tracks and highways. although 65mph was about max, and it was much happier at 55.  I did have to buy an S case guard ($14 or so) since the E case guard is too big to use with a 15 tooth front. I did not need to change chains between the two front sprockets. 

I used Kenda K760 tires, but they wear quickly on the road, but they are a great DOT knobby. 

I did have to buy an S case guard ($14 or so) since the E case guard is too big to use with a 15 tooth front.

Do you mean the front sprocket cover? If so I would probably just drop a couple of teeth from the rear. I need to look up the stock gearing on the S to get a better idea of where I should be. I like the bottom end I get from the 14/47 just don't want to hold up the crowd or kill the horse that brung me.

Thanks for the heads up on the K760s I was waffleing on those because they are closer to what I'm used to but from what I've read most of the Eastern US is "improved" road now so they would probably go away too fast.

I just put on Shinko 244s which are pretty much identical to the Kenda K270s but cost significantly less, front and rear for $94 second day shipping from Amazon.  I have mostly only used them on-road and they have been great.  Reasonably quiet, good grip, and predictable.  I took them off road a bit just 2 days ago and they did OK there too.  It was dry but the area I was in was fairly rutted out and they handled it well.  They definitely don't feel like a true knobby, but they gave me enough grip to have fun and, again, they were predictable and I knew how far I could push them.  If you're intent on getting the K270s, take a look at the Shinko 244 as well and you can save some money.  Lots of DRZ riders use them and love them.

The case saver is under the sprocket cover. The two bolts for the cover go through the case saver.

Case saver is a generous name for it, it's a pretty flimsy piece, however it acts as a spacer for the cover so it's necessary.

The case saver is under the sprocket cover. The two bolts for the cover go through the case saver.

Case saver is a generous name for it, it's a pretty flimsy piece, however it acts as a spacer for the cover so it's necessary.

Gotcha, thanks Phantom

I just put on Shinko 244s which are pretty much identical to the Kenda K270s but cost significantly less, front and rear for $94 second day shipping from Amazon.  I have mostly only used them on-road and they have been great.  Reasonably quiet, good grip, and predictable.  I took them off road a bit just 2 days ago and they did OK there too.  It was dry but the area I was in was fairly rutted out and they handled it well.  They definitely don't feel like a true knobby, but they gave me enough grip to have fun and, again, they were predictable and I knew how far I could push them.  If you're intent on getting the K270s, take a look at the Shinko 244 as well and you can save some money.  Lots of DRZ riders use them and love them.

Thanks for the advice I'll check them out

I just put on a pair of these, I had IRCs for the last two sets but these are new to me, was like $95 for both shipped to my house from Amazon, very tough sidewall so I ended up paying the shop $25 to finish mounting them for me, I was trying to practice swapping tires myself with all the right tools but just couldn't finish the last foot or so on my own

the original Trail Wings are easy to take off with their soft sidewalls, the IRCs were not too bad, the Shinkos were really tough

I am planning on a trip to Tierra Del Fuego eventually and was trying to learn to swap tires myself, I like the tread pattern on the Shinkos, hope they stick well on the street, dirt is dirt and the tread looks pretty good for that purpose...seems like a good 50/50 tire for the price

I would gear 15/46 or 15/47.  That gives plenty of speed.  I do not know that much about the TAT, but I suspect it is not all that technical where you would need lower gearing.  I have done all of my DRZ dual sporting with 15/46. 

I run 15 on front and 41 tooth Kush sprocket on back, the DRZ motor is such a tractor style motor, even with my lighter TrailTech flywheel, it will just about pull you thru anything anyway, I imagine a 46 out back would give more snap but I run the 41 since there is so much highway here in Texas and I want to maximize my mileage

• Like 1