Sign in to follow this  

LRP ancestors and a new suspension option

Went to a concours d' elegance  today at the world golf village here in NFL. all kinds of classes and saw the LRP's great great grandparents. Hey, this is FL, where'd you think they'd go to retire? it was pretty cool and Dave Despain was the grand marshal. the antique Honda guys loved the LRP.

also came across a new suspension option. Wilbers makes a rear shock for the 250L. $630 for a single shock like the racetech, custom tuned to your weight and style. $250 extra if you want an external reservoir with adjustable dampening. the reservoir can be on a tube like the ohlins or on a slick swivel mounted directly to the shock. looked like high quality german stuff. www.hermanUSA.com is the us distributor. lol, the founder of the company signed the brochures--I think the point was that they would go out of their way to get your new suspension dialed in and keep you happy. might be worth a check for folks looking for a new setup. 

IMG_20140517_114803 (2).jpg

IMG_20140517_114731 (2).jpg

IMG_20140517_114742 (2).jpg

• Like 7

Ok i'll show my lack of knowledge --what is a LRP?? In Nam if they told you that you were going on a LRP )Long Range Partol) you knew you would be out of artillery support and would only have air resorces to call for if Shift hit the fan?? :excuseme: :excuseme: :usa:

• Like 1

Ok i'll show my lack of knowledge --what is a LRP?? In Nam if they told you that you were going on a LRP )Long Range Partol) you knew you would be out of artillery support and would only have air resorces to call for if Shift hit the fan?? :excuseme: :excuseme: :usa:

The XR650 L's and R's have always been know as the "BRP" (Big Red Pig) because they are very heavy machines although extemely capable and have many wins at Baja. So ...... somebody dubbed this bike the "LRP" (Little Red Pig)    based on its 320lb stock curb weight. 

I personally do not like the term "LRP" and do not think it applies to this bike but to each his own I guess .....

you will always hear me refer to or reply back that the CRF250L is more like a Honey Badger because he just don't care and does what he wants and nothing can stop him ....  :p

honeybad_logo.png

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 1

Oh, got it. i'm not sure about the website then. guess i should have checked the site first. but i did actually see the 250L listed in the Wilbers catalog. when i asked if they made one he opened it up and i saw it listed. i was checking because i didn't want him to accidentally look up an 250X or R.  i believe he called it one of their "A" body shocks.  maybe try the actual Wilbers website. www.wilbers.de i cant really get it to work. it's largely in german and some of the drop-downs are blank.

...and i didn't mean anything derogatory with the LRP terminology :thumbsup: . it's just easier than typing CRF250L, lol

i did throw a leg over a 350exc at a dealership the other day, and was amazed by how light it felt. but i don't mind the extra weight. it doesn't affect maneuverability, at east not with my beginner's skill set and 100% street use, and anywhere above 45, i'm already getting blown all over the place by the wind and less weight would probably only worsen things. 

• Like 1

Google Translate ...... 

Typ 640 Road Art-Nr.: 640-1089-00

The base model of Wilbers Adjust Line shocks is on the same technology as the more sophisticated versions. The difference lies in the absence of the external reservoir and the settings in the compression stage. It makes no compromises in terms of response and durability. Radial piston, wet run, teflon coated swing and other features define here the standard of mono-strut new. Of course, the spring base is also infinitely and rebound adjustable through an open bleed system by 22 clicks over an extremely wide range. The strut can be upgraded with many extras from the house of Wilber.

hydraulic spring preload not possible.

i found this at http://wilberssuspension.co.uk

http://wilberssuspension.co.uk/images/wilbers/federbeine.pdf

go to page 87

there's P/N 640-1089-00 and 640-1089-01, the 01 says it has:  Raising 20 mm, hydr. preload adjustment not possible. does this means that it is raised 20mm more or that it can be raised 20mm :excuseme: 

anyone tried wilbers for the crf?