Sign in to follow this  

Ignition switch wiring.

I have a 2002 ktm 250 exc, I ride the bike around a lot often leaving the bike outside of places, the only problem is the 2002 didnt come with an key ignition switch. I want to wire a key ignition to the bike, is it possible and how difficult would it be? My plans are to wire the ignition switch up and also a disc lock. 

Yes its possible.

Instead of the kill switch.

You should also mount it out of sight as much as possible.

Early CRF230Fs had a 2 circuit key ignition switch; in the on position one circuit is NO and the other NC, vis versa in the off position.  I put one on my CRF250X and spliced the NO circuit to the kill switch wire and ground, and the spliced the NC into the clutch/start circuit.  When the key switch is off the kill circuit is grounded and the starter relay circuit is open,  so no e-start and no bump or kick start. The engine can be stopped using the kill switch or the key switch, and the starter will only work if the key switch is in the on position.  About $30 from your local Honda supplier. I mounted it on the aft side of the headlight shell ala Rick Ramsey but used sheet Al instead of plastic. I used Honda style bullet connectors so I could easily revert back to stock,

Sicass has a plug and play key. When off, it acts like a kill switch and disconnects the starter button. Works for the newer version, might require some cut and soldering for an older machine.

• Like 1

I just installed a simple hidden on/off switch between the the coil and the battery.

No more starting!

• Like 1

thanks guys ill have to look at my options and see what I can come up with.