Sign in to follow this  

Newbie With A KLR250

Hey all, I just bought a 2000 KLR250 from a guy. This is my proper dual sport bike, unless you count the couple Trail 90's I've had over the years. Before this I had a Harley 1200 Sportster, a Honda CL175, and the afforementioned Trail 90's (I grew up on one of these). Just a bit about me there to give you an idea of how green I am when it comes to this dual sport and dirt riding (above 20mph) thing. Anyways y'all don't give a shit about me so here's what you actually want...
021_zpsaec27d81.jpg

022_zpse19e0f60.jpg

028_zpsce028251.jpg

030_zps2b802ccc.jpg

Note: Before I'm asked, the mullet mobile in the back ground of the first picture isn't mine, its the PO's. (the guys on advrider gave me plenty of shit when I posted that pic up there).

The bike is stock minus a UNI air filter and a bigger 5.10" rear Kenda 270 (vs the stock 4.60"). It needs/needed new fork seals, fork boots, timing adjusted (done), a battery (done), a strap to hold the battery in place (sorta temporarily jerry-rigged), the chain guard guide thing that bolts up under the swing arm, and a new rear drive train (the PO supplied a new one with it, which is good because the one on it is the original from the factory I'm certain).

Oh yeah, and it has 8500 miles on it. Starts insanely easy. When I got it I thought it started easy, but after adjusting the valves I couldstart it by hand if I wanted. I've ridden it around town some at slow speeds, since I haven't found anyone local that can break a chain and rivet up the new one, and I gotta say I really like the bike. Its very easy to operate, runs smooth, and is pretty forgiving of a dual sport novice such as myself.

I plan to fix the remaining issues I listed and then set it up as a light camping and trail bike. So a set of hand guards,  a rack for the rear, put my milk crate on top of the rear rack (you know when its not on centerstand duty), and a couple of bungee cords for the rest of my gear which doesn't fit in the milk crate and I should be set.

Now some questions. Where do you all like to get your parts from? Are there some parts that aren't worth a damn unless OEM (fork seals come to mind)? The rear chain guard/guide thingy, how necessary is it? Oh and how do I get my front brake from pretending its a marshmallow?

On that last question, the brake were bled succesfully which has helped but its still not as strong as I think it should be. I can't lock the front up at any speed above 5-8mph. I can't even practice hard braking on this bike. I pull back hard on it when at 20mph and it just brings me to a nice easy stop. If I have it in neutral and hold the brake I can still push the bike forward with my feet as I straddle it. The pads aren't worn down that much, and I couldn't get anymore bubbles out of the line when I bled it. What the hell else is there? Other than the chain this is the only thing keeping me from going and riding the shit out of it right now.

I get most of my parts from Rocky Mountain MC/ATV. They also now supply  OEM parts so it can be a one shop stop for  some individuals. Don't forget about Ebay. Some deals can be had there also.

When pads over heat they basically melt them selves a fraction and makes them less abrasive, just 20 seconds of a file and they're nearly like new.