Sign in to follow this  

How to use the clutch

I'm not new to dirtbikes... it's just I use to have a Japanese bike and they don't have a clutch... I've watched videos but they weren't very detailed. How do I properly take off how do I shift up while riding and how do I down shift from a high gear if I have to stop right away

Im gonna be easy on you, you must be a little kid. My advise is, put down the how to book and try to find someone that is experienced and is willing to spend a couple hours giving you lessons.

This search phrase: "how to use a clutch dirtbike" got 7 pages with 25 videos per page on Youtube. 

You will learn easiest by having someone teach you in person. Second best, a Youtube video. Way down the list is some dude on TT trying to explain it to you through text.

• Like 1

Correct sandlvr69. I was going to say pull the clutch in shift it into second, hold the throttle wide open and drop it just ike on TV but I didn't have the heart.

• Like 2

I'm not new to dirtbikes... it's just I use to have a Japanese bike and they don't have a clutch... I've watched videos but they weren't very detailed. How do I properly take off how do I shift up while riding and how do I down shift from a high gear if I have to stop right away

Do you presently ride a yz-250?

Yes... I had a Japanese 125 and it didn't have a clutch all you had to do was shift up or down and I know I'm doing something wrong so that's why I cam her

Do you mean Chinese? BTW, I was gonna say the same thing, pull it in, let it go........

Do you mean Chinese? BTW, I was gonna say the same thing, pull it in, let it go........

There was an ad in our local classifieds a few months back.  The guy was looking to trade a quad for a dirt bike.  The ad read "Trade for dirt bike...NO JAPANESE CRAP!!!!......Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda or Yamaha ONLY"... 

I thought it funny :)

• Like 2

It depends on the model.  I had a 125cc Chinese dirt bike for my kids when they were younger and it DID have a clutch.  I think it was a four speed...one down/three up

Edited by Fattonz

Some have them, some do not. I have no idea the brand.

Hustler... Check out YouTube and/or ask a neighbor or friend to show you.

Neutral is between first and second. Click all the way down, half click back up finds neutral. When you are ready to go, pull clutch and click down to first gear. Slowly release clutch until you feel it start to pull. Increase rpm's slightly and slowly let out clutch. Pull clutch and shift up to second. Don't be afraid to let the clutch slip--it is a wet clutch that is made for abuse. My neighbor showed his 9 yr old daughter how to run one in about 4 minutes last w/e, so hopefully you will be fine.

This is really basic and same as a car.

About half the newish 4 stroke riders today should be asking this question in the context of how using the clutch will make them a better rider, but that is another topic.

step 1 - find neutral. shift down on the lever till it hits 1st gear, then lightly rock it up while rocking the bike back and forth until it rolls freely.

step 2 - kick-start bike, give it a bit of gas when kicking

step 3 - hold left lever (clutch) in while revving bike as high as it will rev. make sure the bike sounds like it is about to explode

step 4 - shift up into 2nd gear

step 5 - let go of the left (clutch) lever abruptly

You should be traveling at holeshot speed. Now-

To shift up, simply hold your foot under the shifter, putting pressure on it in the upward position. When your bike hits the rev limiter it should shift into the next gear. If not, let off the gas for a second and it will move up.

To shift down, simply blip the throttle and tap the shifter down. The timing takes practice, light pressure on the shifter will help you feel it out.

Edited by n16ht5
  • Like 2

An easy trick- get a running(rolling) start, then practice letting the clutch out into first.

Doing it with the bike moving helps because even if you let the clutch out too fast, the back wheel will re-start the engine right away.

• Like 1