Sign in to follow this  

Linkage/ swingarm trouble

How is it possible to get any wrench in to the space to dismount the suspension linkage? Let alone a torque wrench? My bike is half ripped apart and it seems im way over my head as help on this site is somewhat difficult to find. Im trying to take my swingarm and linkage off to clean and grease as well as check for damage. I have a clymer manual but it doesnt do to much justice. Please and thank you for any and all replies id like to hopefully get my bike back together and running within 2 weeks but the way things are looking at the moment it doesnt seem to realistic

First things first never use a torque wrench to break bolts loose.

Second post a picture of the specific bolt that's giving you trouble as I'm having a hard time understanding, the swingarm linkage bolts are about as accessible as it can get

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

The linkage to the frame. I wasnt gonna use a torque to take it off but put it back on. Or is it unnesessary to remove that pivot bolt to remove the swingarm and maintain both? Ive never done anything like this before on anything really. Im new to the drz had it for 2 years now and this is my first time taking this much off. I just get nervous and get anxiety when doing this cuz if i dont do something right when putting it back together it could be my life. Im mainly looking to learn so i can do it things like this myself. Theres a handul of things im doing to the drz atm but this is the biggest thing i shoild do

Nof even anxiety just stress and a whole lot of overworrying. I want it back together soon so i can ride this summer. But im trying to learn without messing anything up and costing me more lol

I have friends that have been helping me also and their pretty good with things like this their just working

I'm assuming you mean the pivot bolt that goes from frame spar to frame spar? Yes you need to remove it to remove the swingarm. There is a nut on the left side of the bike. Use a 22mm socket wrench to take that nut off. Then use a brass drift or a wooden dowel to carefully drive the bolt out. There is an article in the FAQ about swingarm service and maintainence, you should take a look.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?/topic/566760-Swingarm-and-rear-suspension-maintenance

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz
  • Like 1

Im having trouble removing any of the bolts for the suspension linkage by myself im probably gonna have to wait till their out of work to give me a hand but thanks a bunch

The linkage does mount tk the frame also doesnt it? Should i also take take that bolt off a d grease it or not?

The shock lever to frame mount takes 2 17mm wrench if I remember correct. I ended up buying a cheap set of combo wrenches and a set of curved end wrenches at Harbor Freight to get the job done. If you take off the brake switch on the inside of the frame you will be able to get a shallow 17mm socket in there to torque it down on reassemble.

The shock lever to frame mount takes 2 17mm wrench if I remember correct. I ended up buying a cheap set of combo wrenches and a set of curved end wrenches at Harbor Freight to get the job done. If you take off the brake switch on the inside of the frame you will be able to get a shallow 17mm socket in there to torque it down on reassemble.

+1 on this^^. That brake switch will be in the way. Good luck finding a short metric socket. I looked at several shops. For some reason metric sockets are longer than a similarly sized SAE socket. I ended up just tightening that nut with a long 17mm box end. I have checked it several times since January, I suppose I got enough torque on it.

I use a 17 mm combination wrench (box-end) on the bolt head and a 17 mm short socket and long handle ratchet (3/8").  Yes, some longer sockets or 1/2" drive sockets won't fit due to the frame and rear brake light switch.