Sign in to follow this  

Glass bead blasting engine cases, help!?!?

So I'm rebuilding the entire lower end of my 01 cr250 engine.

I have a glass bead blasting cabinet at work. I'd like to clean the cases in it but I have a few questions

1) what will this do to sealing surfaces? The beads are very very fine?

2) saw a thread on vital where dogger claims the right side case is magnesium and looks like shit blasted, is this true?

3) lastly I have already blasted the water pump cover to give a reference of finish, what do you think?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400362631.241158.jpg

Cover looks good. I believe that there will be no harm done to the sealing surfaces, but wait until somebody else chimes in on that. I'm not 100% certain it's okay. All of the cases on that bike should be aluminum.

Use masking tape to cover the sealing surfaces and areas you don't want blasted. 

I bead blast engine cases for cleaning/prep, but usually end up painting and/or clear coating them before assembly. They tend to look better and stay cleaner than just blasting the cases and leaving them raw.

Use masking tape to cover the sealing surfaces and areas you don't want blasted.

I bead blast engine cases for cleaning/prep, but usually end up painting and/or clear coating them before assembly. They tend to look better and stay cleaner than just blasting the cases and leaving them raw.

Thanks what paint do you use for clear coat?

Also my plan was to try and blast the inside of the crank area while the old seals and bearings were in there. I've head texturing in that area is a pluse.

Thoughts?

Use spherical glass beads. They just clean up the surface. Normal glass media tends to 'frost' the surface, not good for leaving bare but great as a pre paint prep.

Use spherical glass beads. They just clean up the surface. Normal glass media tends to 'frost' the surface, not good for leaving bare but great as a pre paint prep.

Thanks, the beads are spherical and very fine grit. I'll probably just clear coat the cases after I bead blast

I thought Soda blasting was the best way? Please don't quote me...

As far as I can tell my all cases are aluminum

I bought this today at autozone

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400429391.641905.jpg

Flame proof satin clean is what the guy recommended, none flame proof hi temp paints get sticky when they are hot and I didn't want a gloss finish

I also bought this to clean them before painting

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400429528.901397.jpg

I plan on putting the case in a soapy bath and using a nylon brush with the cleaner to get the debris out before bearing installation and paint

I thought Soda blasting was the best way? Please don't quote me...

ooops